Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by an earlier thread, what is the most embarrassing car you have been beaten by in a road 'race'. Apart from a lucky few, we don`t have the fastest cars on the block and it can happen to us all.

That means you were actually trying not to be beaten and doesn`t include racing a car that looked rubbish but turned out to be some highly tuned sleeper or sport model - I mean a bog-standard car that got the better of you!

I`m happy to start with the 1.8 Vectra that saw me off with some cunning moves on the A38 a few months ago :eek: All credit to him, but it was a bit embarrassing.

C`mon, don`t be shy :)

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
... and just how does a Vectra 1.8 beat your car Chris :confused:

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I got my arse kicked by a Mini One on a country road near me. I caught him on the straights alright but he never backed off on the bends. I never saw the brake lights once in about 5 miles.

·
Banned
2,213 Posts
chris! what the hell were you driving when the vectum saw you off :confused: i nealey brought a 1.8 16v vectra! but when i test drove my 1.8 16v alfa! my taste sort of chainged! theres no comparision when it comes to speed on the alfa and the vectums considering they both had the same engine size!!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I know, thats just the point. He kept just catching the traffic right, he had a real roll going on. I was always in the wrong gear or on a long left bend or behind two nose-to-tail trucks or whatever.

Shamefull.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Got very surprised by a new Vauxhall Vectra 1.9DTi (150bhp)!! Wouldn't say I was whupped, but it was NEARLY very embarassing.
Why is it ALWAYS a Vectra or a Mondeo?. :confused:

Or even worse, a kevved-up Saxo that had me over twisty roads at the beginning of this week (I was nursing poorly Alfa at the time tho!) :(

;)

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Once got nailed by a Ford Cortina............I was driving a quite nimble SR20 Nissan at the time. Turns out the cortina was fitted with a cosworth twin turbo and NOS :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Don't race so don't loose ... Well a Golf once beat me while driving with the 33...

I was overtaking the Golf but it didn't let me go past ... Tw4T ! :mad:

·
Registered
807 Posts
I got beat by a up Corsa GSI in Bertie. He kept trying to undertake me at roundabouts and traffic lights etc :mad: but didn't have the speed, obviously didn't like this old car with big 1300 badge on the back showing him up in front of his girlfriend. I'd been pushing my luck with the lack of syncro on 2nd (now fixed) and eventually got the horrible crashing sound :eek: changing up into second and he went flying past and I remember how much I love this car and began to drive a more carefully :tut: . The bloke pulled into a pub 500 metres along the road :rolleyes:

Its very rare I get goaded into this kind of behaviour in Bertie (Honest gov).

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
When I was first learning how to drive, two old ladies in a starlet beat me off the line. That was embarrassing, I was convinced I could move my mother's micra fairly quick. Man was I wrong. :eek: D'OH.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,300 Posts
In my last Golf GTi, I got whipped by a middle aged fart in a ...Toyota Picnic. :eek: Probably the only bit of fun he'd had in the last 14 years.

In the GTV6 - got beaten by three girls in a Fiesta...when my prop shaft coupling exploded as I race off from the lights. :rolleyes:

g

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
I once hurtled away from a roundabout in my Westfield with a bit too much wheelspin and general noisy mayhem. I overtook two cars and a bus and as I plonked my foot back down after a swift change into third, the throttle pedal snapped!
:rolleyes:
I bunged my indicator on and coasted to a halt and pretended I was going to the postbox.
:eek:
The net result was I got whupped by two Sunday drivers and a double decker.
(Bus, not choccie bar).

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scudetto said:
In my last Golf GTi, I got whipped by a middle aged fart in a ...Toyota Picnic. :eek:
A toyota picnic!!! If I say it myself that wins so far :cheese:

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
So whats the prize then? :confused:

;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I haven't been whupped by anything in my GTV. A friend has an RX-8 and he's never got the better of me.

Reading is quite popular with chavs and they like to cruise round in their Maxed up chavmobiles. They rarely try to race me though.

Once I pulled up at the lights next to a Mk2 Toyota MR2 with a big boy drain pipe exhaust. He was giving it some revs and popping the dump valve. I sat there nonchalantly in my suit and scarf (I was on the way home from work). The passenger was leaning out of the MR2 giving Bambi a good looking over and trying to catch my eye but I just ignored him. When the lights changed he looked quite suprised to hear the thundering V6 and see me dissappear into the distance. It was most, most satisfying.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,300 Posts
erm if it it's all the same to you guys, I'd be happy not to win this competition ;-)

g

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Not whupped as such...but a few years ago driving the 145 down the A23 dual carriageway, pressing on as you do....saw a car ahead and tried to catch him, but could i heck....i was wringing the 145 as much as i dare but could not make any headway on this.......mid 90's Rover 214. :eek:

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Scudetto said:
In the GTV6 - got beaten by three girls in a Fiesta...
Uou! :D You don't do things for less, do you G? :D 3 girls, hei? ;) Nice fiesta it must have been. ;)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I did the whupping once!

A bright yellow Cossie turned up my mirrors and promptly had to stay there behind my old Mk2 Cav, on open roads too! Didn't like to let him know about the Calibra turbo engine and box under the bonnet. I think he realised something was up though, try as he may he didn't get past.

I was further amused when said Cossie turned up on the cover of Fast Ford trying to boast about 400BHP! ME thinks a bit of fisherman's boasting about the size of his horsepower there!

BMW 325s were the best though. They never gave up, even if you'd already left them in dust several times.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts