Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to look at a Brera today and to be honest I was disappointed. The look of the car didn't make me go wow, in fact I almost made my mind up as soon as I took one look at it, just looked fat on stilts. Not really helped with poor car supermarket prep and visible lacquer burn through poor polishing. The interior was nice but the rear seats were totally worthless sealing my decision, it's a 2 seater with rear seats for ornamentation. I couldn't even be bothered to ask about a test drive. In Summary I thought the Brera a poor replacement for the GTV which is ageing much better. The best coupe that Alfa currently selling is still the GT, a much nicer looking car and more practical; combine GT with Brera interior and that would be a sweet car.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Given the choice between a Brera and a GT I would go for the GT, as you say the Brera just looks fat and that massive rear end just emphasises it even more. The GT is much better, a very good size boot on it too especially when you put the back seats down. I see quite a few Breras around and not so many GTs, dunno why :confused:

N

·
0 Posts
Wow, My name must be Nev Tyler...

I went to sleep in 2010 and woke up on AO in 2005....

... it's Brera bashing time again! :eek:

Oh no, you actually went to see one instead of just looking
at a 2D photo. :thumbs:

Yeah, as recently Ex-Brera AOer I must say: Worst looking car I've owned.

Interior was just not cheap enough. Not out-of-date 147ish for my taste.
Always felt tired and disappointed after a 500km sprint down
to Barcelona for the weekend. Had to go straight to bed
in the hotel on a Friday night after arriving to recover. :(

The number of times that car wasted my time as total strangers
waylayed me in car parks to make admiring comments and chat about Alfas. :rant:

Having to wind down my window to chat to other drivers at
traffic lights who wanted to know more about it. :rolleyes:

The amount of business the local handwash guy, Sammi, lost when people
came in off the street to ask about that car. Caused him untold anguish. :mad:

The utter, utter humiliation of turning up to a big corporate start-of-year
kickoff meeting at the Fairmont in Monaco and have all my
international colleagues watch as I passed the key to the valet and
then he decides to park it up at the front of the hotel, nose out, next to
Astons, Ferraris, Lambos etc. Oh, the humanity!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yeah terrible looking car. No one has expressed any negatives
comments about me switching it for a 159. Not a soul.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Your best post thus far of 2010 Nev :lol::eek:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Subjective!!!!!

Went I bought my Brera last week (collecting this weekend) I compared it to a GT and the Brera won hands down. Coming from a 147 the Brera is in another planet!

C

·
0 Posts
It's a 2 seater with rear seats for ornamentation. I couldn't even be bothered to ask about a test drive. In Summary I thought the Brera a poor replacement for the GTV which is ageing much better. The best coupe that Alfa currently selling is still the GT, a much nicer looking car and more practical;
Guess Brera's are like marmite .. you either love or hate em ! Thought about a GT as I think the rear looks fab, not so much the front.

Cant agree that the Brera is a 'poor replacement' it is literally a 'work of art' which is why so many non petrol heads remark on them. As for it being a 2+0 seater that isn't news; if it had been a 1+0 I still would have bought it! :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
I went to look at a Brera today and to be honest I was disappointed. The look of the car didn't make me go wow, in fact I almost made my mind up as soon as I took one look at it, just looked fat on stilts. Not really helped with poor car supermarket prep and visible lacquer burn through poor polishing. The interior was nice but the rear seats were totally worthless sealing my decision, it's a 2 seater with rear seats for ornamentation. I couldn't even be bothered to ask about a test drive. In Summary I thought the Brera a poor replacement for the GTV which is ageing much better. The best coupe that Alfa currently selling is still the GT, a much nicer looking car and more practical; combine GT with Brera interior and that would be a sweet car.
A rear seat comment about a car with bigger seats than a GTV from a GTV owner.
Not bashing your thoughts. Just commenting mate :thumbs:

And funny post Nev

K

·
0 Posts
Good post Nev. :cool:

Reminds me of the sort of Brera bashing baloney posted on another forum I used to frequent.

Almost to a man, it always seems to be from some small minded, envious, cash strapped owner of an older model, trying really hard to get a boner from his clapped out, aging Alfa he's spent a small fortune on attempting to transform into some "driver's car" with tasteless mods.

Be still my beating heart. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
<takes his hat off to Nev>

such a great response

I have to say nothing puts a smile on my face more than someone in something exotic slowing down to admire my spider

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Last night I found Mr_Caine's post and Jim's follow-up as extremely irritating -- and I put this down to having worked for the previous 15 hours, and consuming a bottle of Cabernet-Syrah (lubricant for the work). So I went to bed and forgot about it.

Today -- Still fairly irritating, however I can kind of see the point: To someone coming from a GTV, the Brera can only seem like a bit of a lump. Relatively, it is.

The rest just seems like a matter of taste and/or requirements. None of which make a car any BETTER than any other car -- just more suited to a potential owner.

Clearly Alfa's current offerings aren't what some of their owners/enthusiasts are looking for, for whatever reason. That's a shame, and I for one am grateful that the Brera suits my needs, and appeals to me aesthetically (even[particularly] with the big rear). It appears that I'm in an even better position still, because I would love to own a V6 GTV or GTA or GT. (Just not exclusively :))

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Your best post thus far of 2010 Nev :lol::eek:
Agreed:lol:

We can be objective as have one of the new breed and one of the old breed.

GTleigh and be even more so having moved from a GT to a Brera.

At the OP.

Isn't a GTV a two seater with no boot:confused:

Probably why you own an old 156;);)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It's only January and already I think 'Post of the Year' (Nev's) is sown up!

:lol: :thumbs:

·
Registered
910 Posts
<takes his hat off to Nev>

such a great response

I have to say nothing puts a smile on my face more than someone in something exotic slowing down to admire my spider
Why,s that ian because you washed it for once

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I forgot to add that we have a GTV too:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I own a 147 and would not go for a GT! It would still feel like I owned a 147 whilst in the cockpit! I am totally in Love with the Brera and would by one tomorrow if i was not moving house! The Breras interior is far far superior to the GT's.

And as far as looks are concerned, the Brera is simply BEAUTIFUL!

·
Registered
144 Posts
If it would help, I can kill you quickly and relatively painlessly before the others set fire to you... :)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts