Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the roads in Paarl are fu(*& all drains blocked and dams everywhere, as i left the house a cloud burst and it was wet kept going for 15 min, had to swim to the car and back and then we aquaplaned home

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Luciano I was in luck this morning because all cloud bursts normally happen as i arrive at work and need to get out of my car to get to the oriface, or when I am leaving my oriface to go home. Adds 15mins to my daily trip home every winter...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got caught in a hail storm, thank god for Cape hail, the size of a pea so no damage
the asr works a treat as u hit the dam the dash lights up and the car goes straight the other drivers were not that lucky looks like they are changing lanes when they hit the dams

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was doing about 120 and as soon as the wheel slows down it drops to the tar and grip resumes, it takes about a second and it was big dams, u can even feel when asr tranfers to the other wheel, and when both sides are working at the same time, u can do the speed limit with confidence

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
i was doing about 120 and as soon as the wheel slows down it drops to the tar and grip resumes, it takes about a second and it was big dams, u can even feel when asr tranfers to the other wheel, and when both sides are working at the same time, u can do the speed limit with confidence
I think you misunderstood my reference to "hydrolock" as meaning "aquaplaning".

Hydrolock refers to excessive amounts of water getting into the cylinders, with the result of bent conrods or even bigger engine damage, as water is incompressible.
When driving through water with a low-mounted engine intake, enough water can get into the engine to cause this.

Someone on the forum had this experience with a V6 earlier this year in the Cape, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Just so you know, diesel engines suffer hydrolock much easier than most petrol engines, because the combustion space is usually a lot smaller. Just a little bit of water can therefore fill up the entire space.

·
Registered
454 Posts
i was in stellenbosch this morning when i came down properly... without a jacket

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Just so you know, diesel engines suffer hydrolock much easier than most petrol engines, because the combustion space is usually a lot smaller. Just a little bit of water can therefore fill up the entire space.
i wonder what the effect of the turbo and intercooler would be on the possibility of this happening.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
i wonder what the effect of the turbo and intercooler would be on the possibility of this happening.
The +/- 4L of intercooler should catch most of the water and might save the engine if you close throttle quick enough, but the sudden cooling of the turbo will crack the turbo housing.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry, as long as you dont slow down you should be ok, the air intake is quite high the only way water can enter is if Chatz or your mac. did not put your air filter back properly and water enters at the seal, i had water in the air box when i removed the old filter and box was half sealed, will remove filter Saturday when sun is shining and make sure i sealed it properly

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ps i would not drive in the rain with out a under plate, on the inter cooler and air box side it is protected on the sides and bottom, if your side screws are in place

1 - 14 of 14 Posts