Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the 159 out for a drive this weekend. Nothing real far, just went to Hermanus for lunch with the wife. On the way back a 125i Coupe decided to play. Just before the Houw Hoek Pass where my precious gtv was written off. I gave it a run into the first corner. It fell back, then a long straight about 400m and it couldn't keep up. Next corner I pulled more distance and before long I slowed down because the bmw was gone. I remember exiting the pass and seeing it's familiar silhouette pulling up behind me at a rate of knots. Traffic allowed us little space for play and the next pass was down Sir Lowry's where we had a real go. I left him standing. After 4th gear I was gone, through the twisties and down the final straight to the traffic light at the bottom. Knowing he had a full second in hand from a standing start I declined his offer for a robot pull and besides we were in a 80km/h zone and I didn't want to fall foul of the law. It is safe to say the 159 tbi really can show a 125i coupe a clean pair of heals on any mountain pass even in the high pressure Cape atmosphere. :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I drove the 159Ti and it can handle like a train! That is all that impressed me, the direct steering and virtually no body roll is amazing, even I don't like fast corners fast, went fast through corners and the salesman said slower, slower lol...

I also would not push a rwd car with 160kw on twisties unless I'm a good drifter. But typical of them to want a dice from a standing start...apparently this is now the street law that cars are subjected to...bends and in gear acceleration isn't enough, lol.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drove the 159Ti and it can handle like a train! That is all that impressed me, the direct steering and virtually no body roll is amazing, even I don't like fast corners fast, went fast through corners and the salesman said slower, slower lol...

I also would not push a rwd car with 160kw on twisties unless I'm a good drifter. But typical of them to want a dice from a standing start...apparently this is now the street law that cars are subjected to...bends and in gear acceleration isn't enough, lol.
With today's cars you have virtually nothing to fear. You have to switch the esp off in three different modes in a BMW to allow it some sideways action, and even then it turns wheelspin control off at speeds above 40km/h unless it's an M3. So drifting wouldn't be very easy or much fun in a 125i...:(

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I think that the point I am making is that when it comes to TLGP's and dicing in general it very much depends on the driver and how big his goolies are. The only proper way of judging two cars is to put them on a racetrack with the same driver and let him test them back to back under the same conditions. Car Mag does this with Deon de Waal. Maybe the other driver sh#ts himself and lifts off or is just not a particularly good driver. You can't judge the car harshly for this.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Ooooooo, my 156 V6 Q REALLY showed her colours on the way back from Beaulieu yesterday.

Somewhere on the A35 near Dorchester, I used the Sports setting to shun some eejit who was determined to crowd me out at the end of a hillside dual-c/way. THEN, little oi tootled @ 65mph when said eejit got his oilburning-ownback. Tee hee....love it.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went for a longer trip this weekend. To the south coast. Very quick trip to the Knysna oyster festival, in the 159. It performed flawlessly. Turbo issues seem to be gone. Fuel consumption still on the high side but I was doing between 140 and 160 and correct speed limits in towns due ro abundance of cameras. New brakes were fitted before thw trip and I love how easily they bring speed down when required. Very nice relaxed cruising at speed and yes there were "challengers" on the way (mostly bmw. I think the golfs are afraid? ) but I wasn't too bothered and let them pass after showing off a little bit. I love this car so much!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts