Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been unable to move the oil filter. Its a wee blue uni part one and I can touch but my arm is such an awquard place I can't move it. and the strap wrench is as much us as a tampon.

Changing the oil wasn't so but however I found the copper ring Jamie had supplied did not fit the sump plug. So I had to put it on with out one. I made sure that it held the seal before reaslmbling everything. but All in all I'm very angry at my self

I have also found this.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NO she is not making any noises. Feel like crying My PhD fund has fallen through AGAIN so I think I'm going to be forced to take her off the road. Really wish I could do this sort of stuff but I've spent all day working on her and accomplished nothing. I've still got the brakes and radiator to do. Thing is I'm not sure its worth doing now.

Does that wee claw thing really work? doesn't look like it would deliver much torque? I was scared to put the scerw driver thourgh as I wouldn't be able to move my car and the oil might cover the filter and Make it harder to turn.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Does that wee claw thing really work? doesn't look like it would deliver much torque? I was scared to put the scerw driver thourgh as I wouldn't be able to move my car and the oil might cover the filter and Make it harder to turn.
It will , those arms ratchet in & grip like a grippy thing , but it needs the access space .
The screwdriver is a last-ditch affair , as you can imagine...:eek:
But its a sure way of getting a stubborn filter off ., smack it through about 2 inches above the "join" .

·
Registered
908 Posts
The oil filter on the V6 is a real pig! I changed mine a few weeks ago but I had someone to help me. It took us nearly 2 hours to do the job! Hardest part was getting the filter off, we fiddled for ages trying to get the filter wrench on. You have my sympathies Stu.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The oil filter on the V6 is a real pig! I changed mine a few weeks ago but I had someone to help me. It took us nearly 2 hours to do the job! Hardest part was getting the filter off, we fiddled for ages trying to get the filter wrench on. You have my sympathies Stu.
Yeah I wish one of my freinds was there so I could swear at them!

·
Registered
908 Posts
You should have heard my wife when she saw oil all over the drive:lol: All 6 litres of engine oil came out at the same time. My mate was covered but saw the funny side of things. I dont think I would do it again though! My local Alfa dealer will change the oil and filter for 70 quid! D'oh!!

A

·
0 Posts
The claw type tools do work. If you get the car high enough safely you can get underneath and access the filter up the back of the engine. Use the screwdriver method only as a very last resort. Once you put a hole in the filter the car is immobile till you finish the job.
Looking at your spring picture ,it looks like the plastic protection is breaking up. It's put there to stop the lower coils chafing together or rubbing on the metal lower mounting. Once the spring does start to wear metal to metal it breaks fairly soon after.
I do feel for you, after doing all you can you've had daft little things stop you.However,cars are like that,it doesn't matter how good you are with them things like this still happen on a regular basis. Keep trying it's worth it in the end.:thumbs:

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
You should have heard my wife when she saw oil all over the drive:lol: All 6 litres of engine oil came out at the same time. My mate was covered but saw the funny side of things. I dont think I would do it again though! My local Alfa dealer will change the oil and filter for 70 quid! D'oh!!
That ole man river that ole man river she just keeps rolling along......top tip MLC

Just as well I told you Stu or has someone in Knightswood just discovered oil and think they are JR Ewing.:cheese:

I think I listed the time my old neighbour did his oil change...Oil all over the driveway.

Well Stu that is the 166 learning curve....start wityh something simple and work up......sing something simple ...man these old black and White Minstrel songs just keep flooding back...
Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all.

IIRC It was doing the oil cooler pipes that I discovered my front spring shagged or is it sagged.

Dont just give up stu you will get there.

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Im not joking about the oil! The sump plug shot out and the oil pan I had underneath couldn't cope:lol:
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

I know MLC thta's why I told Stu. before he found the oil filter on the other thread .its a lotta oil.

Pomeo

·
Registered
908 Posts
Thats the price we pay for running such a beautiful machine. Ive just filled the tank and it cost me £60. Its the same every week. My rear pads and brake fluid need changing very soon and my exhaust back box has a few rust issues. My car has just done 60000 miles so I suppose the upper wishbones will start squeaking soon:rant:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Are you trying to undo filter from the side thru wheel arch? Its MUCH MUCH easier than doing it underneath. You can get your arm in properly and you can also get one of the end cap filter removal tools in.

This is simply a metal hat that fits over the multifaced end of the filter with a 3/8 drive square in the middle to fit a little 3/8 wrench. It requires very little space and works. BUT only if the filter has the multifaced end. Some don't!!!
You should be able to get a rubber strap type lid remover in as well, Gorilla grip I think they are called.
There is also room to get a plastic bag in once you've loosened it to catch most of oil.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts