Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm not surprised - badge engineer a Nissan Navara & then try to charge between £35k & £48k for it.

Hmm....

·
Registered
33,751 Posts
I thought they’d got away with it too!
Perhaps they had in this country as I’ve seen a few.

·
Administrator
45,318 Posts
I don't know about the rest of Europe, but in the UK I don't see a market for a luxury pick-up. They're considered a utility vehicle here. In the US it might have worked.

Mind you, if I was succumbing to a pick-up, I'd go with a ludicrous American one myself. V10 Dodge Ram anyone?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know about the rest of Europe, but in the UK I don't see a market for a luxury pick-up. They're considered a utility vehicle here.
That’s probably true of the 4x4 market 25/30 years ago, Bazza... now look at it. I wonder whether MB was hoping it could sprinkle some upmarket magic dust onto utility vehicles and create a market for them as a feasible alternative to 4x4s and SUVs should customers - inevitably - tire of them.

·
Registered
33,751 Posts
In the U.K. these pickups represent a stage in the life of a builder where he actually employs people who drive vans with his name on but he doesn’t need a van any more.

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
In parts of America, trucks are part of the culture and have been for the best part of a century (Ford Model A roadster pickup anyone?). They have entire shows and magazines dedicated to custom trucks.

Nearly 2.5 million new trucks got sold in the USA last year.

Here they are mostly builder's hacks or, if they are a bit posh, used as cue suggests.

I can't see a big market for a luxury 4x4 pick up. Most of them ride terribly because they are on a commercial chassis. Anyone used to, say, a Range Rover, would find them fairly shocking.

We also tend to all live together in towns so you have to have a bed cover so people don't nick your stuff when it's parked. At which point you may as well just buy a big 4x4.

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
I think that's the appeal over a big 4x4. I bet the builders in search of a hack can't wait for 3yo luxo pick ups to hit the 2nd hand market.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, that tax perk goes back years, IIRC. Self employed pal of a pal bought a Mitsubishi Animal/Warrior/Aggressor/Punch Your Lights Out on the basis that he could expense it via the business, and run it as a family car. Given its ride, bet his kids wish he’d just coughed up for a Golf instead 🙂

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know about the rest of Europe, but in the UK I don't see a market for a luxury pick-up. They're considered a utility vehicle here. In the US it might have worked.

Mind you, if I was succumbing to a pick-up, I'd go with a ludicrous American one myself. V10 Dodge Ram anyone?
It would have absolutely worked here. Mid-size trucks are making a comeback in the US. Add the MB logo and it would have done fine. A full size spec fully loaded pickup in the US is approaching 100k USD though. I drove a Ford King Ranch F250 a couple months ago that was sticker at 86k US.

·
Registered
366 Posts
They have not been huge sellers out here in New Zealand, despite Utes, or pickups taking up the top positions for new car sales over here for a few years now. Year to date the top selling vehciles are all utes. The Ford Ranger, followed by Toyota Hilux with some Mitusbishi Tritons, Holden Colorado and finally Nissan Navaras.

Just a little to expensive and the other makes all have upmarket versions of their utes anwyay. There are simply too many pickups to choose from. Hilux, Ranger, Colorado, D-Max, Triton, BT-50, Amarok, Navara, LDV T60, Great Wall Steed, Ssangyong Rhino, Ram 1500, Mahindra Pik-up & X Class.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts