Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife as being quite keen for us to buy a younger car.

So I've just returned for a test drive of a SAAB 9-5 Aero HOT. Black with cream leather interior.

Its a 2006 with 33,000 miles and one owner. 260BHP and a 0-60 of 6.5 Seconds! It really is ballistically fast!

Its £6,000 which is more money than I've ever thought of spending.

So what do you guys think?

Cheers Stuart

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Sounds like a lot of car for the money.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I dont want to be a so called "happy time killer" here but i dont think i would be interested in buying a car from a company thats in the process of going broke/bust and out of business. But i would be interested in buying a SAAB if the seller was giving me "the unreal deal" on the car at a rock-bottom price.

·
Registered
933 Posts
....... But i would be interested in buying a SAAB if the seller was giving me "the unreal deal" on the car at a rock-bottom price.
Taking into account age/mileage price then sounds like it is to me!

Even based on Parkers "The World Ends Tomorrow" prices thats over £1,700 below part ex value, £3k below private sale and £4k below their guestimate for an independant!

Good luck Stu - a friend had one of these as a Co Car - Very nice cars! :cool:

J

·
0 Posts
Its a good point! I'm not sure what happens if SAAB go bust, Do we all just use up the pot of spare parts until there are none and then what?

Oh Hum Bug!
Pretty much so Stu, but bear this in mind....

Manufacturers have to produce spares that could support a model for 10 years after production has ceased for any individual model.

Not for a company like Saab on the brink of bankruptcy they will not have this in the forefront of their minds, however the cars have been out there for a while so like Rover it would be a few years before model specific spares could become an issue.

In the meantime i have no doubt someone will buy up the stock of spares, Unipart did this with Rover and sold them for a long time after Rover went bang.

If you only intend to keep it for a few years then worry not, however bear in mind that off-loading it may be and issue, a lot of Rover owners have found that now.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia Super
2,640 Posts
pop over to the saab forums, and try to figure out how much you'll have to spend on consumables (break pads, tyres, clutch, etc)

how much would you spend in a year on:
petrol
tax
insurance

how much usually saab garages charge for labour
how much is a minor and a major service
how much is to replace the turbo, other major components if they fail

remember, this is a saab, not an Alfa - you have to make a decision using your head, not your heart:)

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
I think its a great alternative :thumbs:

The folks have had two 9-5s and enjoyed both.

I doubt parts will be an issue for the next few years - how long do you plan on keeping it for?

SAAB tend to have a following similar to Alfa, so there will always be an enthusiast out there I don't doubt and given the way you look after cars, this will definately be one that will sell when the time comes.

I'd say go for it - good luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Manufacturers have to produce spares that could support a model for 10 years after production has ceased for any individual model.
I keep seeing this posted but it obviously isn't true. There are plenty of GTV part you cannot get anymore :confused:

J

·
0 Posts
I keep seeing this posted but it obviously isn't true. There are plenty of GTV part you cannot get anymore :confused:
Bear in mind that the number of each components a manufacturer stock is based on past sales and so that could be a reason why you have encountered this issue.

An example we came across when i was working for Vauxhall. the Mk2 Cavalier SRI 130 had grey dashboards, when they stopped making the cars Vauxhall had a final batch of grey dashboards made.
About 6 months after they finished making the car there was a real explosion in nicking cars, and one of this that was top of the 'thief list' was the SRi 130, when they damaged the column they would damage the dash board.
So many were stolen that Vauxhall were cleaned out of their stock of grey dashboards within 12 months, once we couldn't get the dashboard the cars couldn't be repaied and so were effectively written off.....and there were car that in some cases were less than 12 months old :eek:

its all a guessing game i suppose

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
How does it handle though Stu? I have a soft spot for SAABs but any one I've ever driven hasn't really impressed me enough that I'd like to own one, if that makes sense. The feeling of having something that is satisfying to own plays a big part in the overall car package for me and if that's the same for you and you feel that way about the SAAB then go for it. £6k is nothing in modern day money for a car like that.

Good luck. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THats the only disappointing thing. I think the suspension is two soft. There is a lot of body roll. but on the motorways its perfect and its the best "pot hole" car I've ever been in. To be honest I'm a straight line performance kind of guy. the thing that limits your speed around 9 out of ten corners in Britain is that fact you can see around it!

However The wife and I have been talking and we can't justify spending money we don't have. So I don't think we will go for it.

On a cheerful note I pointed that it is equivalent to three years membership here.

Classic Car Club Scotland | The Stable

and she sounded really positive. Its got my two favorite cars the Bentley Turbo R and the Maseratti 3200GT

We will see!

Stuart

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've got a 9-5 Aero (estate) which i got after my 3.2 went back to the numpties at Desira, an 02/02 though. 6K is cheap for an 06 car with 33k miles.
I assume it is a 'dame edna' model with the chrome arround the front lights? Be aware that later cars don't have the lux pack as standard which is worth having.
They are good cars for the money and there are loads of good indies around to look after them.
As with most cars you could get a good one or a bad one, mine has been fine, on 92k now, worth about 3.5k. Guy i know has a similar 02 saloon with 150k and that is ok too.
You could do a lot worse to be honest, you'll still hanker after a 166 though :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Saabs are excellent, the only car to tempt me out of something Italian. Sounds like you have found the right model, just need to find the right priced one. And there are plenty about, and the longer you leave it, the cheaper they will be.

I am already thinking a 9-3 will be my next car, seen a the 169 will be too expensive for five years, even if it were launced tomorrow.

There are enough Saabs here for parts not to be a problem IMO, Saab is bigger than Alfa here, IIRC Saab has the highest repeat purchase of any car brand, somthing like 70% brand loyalty.

Although they may be gone, they will not be forgotten.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
the 1.9 diesel is one of ours, so plenty of bits available, but there will always be some odd thing that runs out I guess

1 - 20 of 22 Posts