Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you get rid of the excellent ESPN America and integrate it into your new ESPN channel (with your new found Premiership rights)

Except by integration, you mean: take away all the excellent coverage of US sports, and replace it with the Premiership.

Except your Premiership coverage is pretty shoddy, with the package that Sky Sports din't want.

So now you've got one channel, with all the old subscribers (US sports fans) leaving in droves because you've taken their sports away, and no new subscribers because the football on offer is the dross of the premiership that few people want to watch.

And while I was planning on switching to Virgin Media and picking up ESPN America as an additional channel, i'm probably now going to stick with Sky because it's the only way I'll see any NFL this year.

So poke your ESPN where the sun don't shine.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Espn is now free on vigin with the xl package, same as setanta was before it went bump. So in away its a good thing that a tv provider like virgin is giving its customers something back for free. Surely Espn will still show all the american stuff.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as the American stuff is concerned, although you obviously like it, it has to be said it's pretty niche stuff. Personally I don't know anyone who watches NFL and baseball ? It certainly bores the t**s off me.

If there was a worthwhile market for it, I'm sure they would show it ?
Well Sky's NFL coverage has run and run for donkeys years, as has their US racing. And Five had a decade of Baseball and Basketball until they stopped before the start of this year (boo, hiss Channel five)

But the annoying thing is that ESPN is supposed to be an American icon. The one thing I don't expect them to do is start sucking the holy **** of the premiership. As you say yourself, you're not going to pay the extra, and nor are the majority of peeps who are already paying a small fortune to Sky for the footie that they have now.

So the only people who suffer are the small but pretty hardcore US sports fan :rant:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surely Espn will still show all the american stuff.
A lot of it has been bumped because it clashes with the Premiership matches (ESPN have rights for a lot of evening prem matches)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why is everyone obsessed with football? :confused:

Bunch of men kicking an inflatable ball into a net. Big deal.

Just don't get it. :confused:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
plenty of cracking games in that list, i guess espn figures more people want to watch football in britain than rounders, 8 foot freeks and grown men dressed in body armour running around a pitch for 4 seconds before stopping for a coca cola ad break, even the US are realising football is the only sport worth watching;)

·
Super Moderator
44,737 Posts
Slight thread drift here - but does anyone know if ESPN will be available the same was Sultana was - as a subscribed extra on a freeview (through the aerial) box? Because if it isn't, then this change is incredibly annoying.
Last year I had Sky and my friend Sultana, so we'd go to whoevers house had the game on. I'll be buggered if I'm paying another £9, so if he can't get it on his set top box, then all it's done is make things worse for us.

The whole 'monopoly' thing on prem football is ridiculous anyway. The point of anti-monopoly laws is to stop a company taking advantage and costing the customer much more with higher prices - but all they've achieved by stopping one company buying the rights for the whole shebang is to make it more expensive for the public because we have to buy subscriptions from multiple companies. :mad:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Crap isn't it!
Got to pay £9 a month now for me MLB now:confused:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Slight thread drift here - but does anyone know if ESPN will be available the same was Sultana was - as a subscribed extra on a freeview (through the aerial) box?
I would think so, ESPN appears on my freeview epg which is built into the telly and updates itself regularly - I'm sure it didn't used to be there.

The whole 'monopoly' thing on prem football is ridiculous anyway. The point of anti-monopoly laws is to stop a company taking advantage and costing the customer much more with higher prices - but all they've achieved by stopping one company buying the rights for the whole shebang is to make it more expensive for the public because we have to buy subscriptions from multiple companies. :mad:
Totally agree with that. :tut:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
All I care is what channel will the regular NHL games be on!

If its ESPN ill pay for it, if not then boo hiss!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lets face it, you can bring everything in life down to that simplistic level if you really wanted to.
Not F1. A load of men driving round at a couple of hundred miles an hour.
Hold on, actually...... :)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well as it turns out, I was wrong. ESPN are now retaining the 'America' channel to run alongside the new UK ESPN. So I've just cancelled sky and will be switching to Virgin (who bundle the ESPN pack into their largest tv package) and will have sky sports 1,2 and 3 as 'extra' channels. So i'll get the best of both worlds (although i'm still not convinced by ESPN's premiership/scots prem package)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
plenty of cracking games in that list, i guess espn figures more people want to watch football in britain than rounders, 8 foot freeks and grown men dressed in body armour running around a pitch for 4 seconds before stopping for a coca cola ad break, even the US are realising football is the only sport worth watching;)
Minor point here, rounders was actually invented after baseball, few NBA players are over 8feet tall and the NFL is one of the most watched sports in the world :p

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
baseball in its current form in the US is a much younger game than rounders which was also called baseball in england where it originated. english baseball is still played in some cities but bares little relation the US baseball. so it is not correct to say baseball is older than rounders. but basketball was invented before netball, either way its one long ad break with an occational game of baseball breaking out.

im not have a bash at US sports, even if baseball technically is a british sport, just for the sake of it, i just find them incredibly dull, dont get me started on NASCAR, oh my god, round and round and round and round and round, dull, dull dull.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd rather sit and watch a good Nascar race than a football match anyday.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts