Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a welder. I have several small jobs around the place that need welding (my ride on John Deere chassis, the landrover chassis and this afternoon my cement mixer fell apart and needs welding in a couple of places to keep her going.....). I have a good chap in town who can do small jobs for me, but I would like to be able to tackle them myself from time to time.

Machine mart have a cheapish DIY range which I imagine would suffice, but do I need ARC, MIG or something else? I'd also like to build a trailer, so need something to handle that.

Any experts on here that can recommend a decent bit of kit and advice?

Dual Purpose and "No Gas" MIG Welders - Machine Mart

·
Registered
660 Posts
As a general welder for trailer and cement mixer repair an MMA (manual metal arc) welder would suffice. I have a 125 amp inverter that is about as big as a cornflake box and would do the job. If you want to do welding below 2mm thick I would go for a MIG (metal inert gas) welder. I have only used the professional ones with gas but some of the gasless ones can also be used with gas. Don't be tempted to buy anything below 125amp as it will cut out every 5 minutes. PS for outdoor work the gasless ones should be better as any breeze blows away the gas shield resulting in porosity in the weld. (Looks like an Areo bar). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
De nada :D

·
Administrator
86,623 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
You can get a stick welder very cheap these days. I much prefer MIG, I find it easier to use (with gas) and I can do far cleaner welds.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I ended up buying. Has been fine for me to learn and do a few jobs. Fixed my dads trailer with it last week which was 2mm steel. Easy to use.

·
Registered
660 Posts
They are fine for small DIY jobs. The duty cycle on these is not very long so they tend to cut out after about 10 minutes and need to cool down, but for small jobs there great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts