Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of this week’s taxis was a Toyota. I’m not sure what model it was, but I think it was the MPV derivative of a normal model because a) my God it was ugly and b) it was mahoosive in the back.

There was a stubby little P/R/N/D lever mounted high on the dash, so it was an auto - but here’s the thing. Whenever the driver accelerated (which was often. Only a nervous twitch in his right leg can explain why he kept needlessly pressing then releasing the accelerator, press, release, press, release and so on, which went on for mile after mile after miserable mile), the car made a noise like the clutch was slipping - a sudden rising of the revs not matched by much in the way of go bar once when, after dueling aggressively with a moped driver in traffic, the taxi driver made a sudden attempt to, basically, murder him. This time, there was no release on the accelerator. Heck, there’s no point going away if there aren’t going to be any memorable moments! Anyway, imagine my joy when, on the return journey, the same taxi came to collect me...with the same driver.

But anyway - what was going on with the ‘box? I don’t think I’ve ever experienced anything like it before. Any ideas?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Our bog standard torquey epicyclic boxy upshifts if you release the gas pedal gently when accelerating and gives slightly more mpg if you drive it like that as a tight assed old git like me does ?:D

Ours is an Aisin 4f,1r, reliable as her indoors 40yr old Seiko is? ;)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Its most likely a CVT gearbox. Its normal for them to have a slight delay accompanied by a rev increase until the ECU sorts out the steel belt pulley ratios. I know of several toyota hybrid drivers that use that method and it doesn't seem to make much difference to MPG but make the fluid smell and go black earlier that you would expect. That style doesn't seem to work on non hybrid CVTs either, if anything it will make the gearbox work harder trying to understand the input of the driver.

Edit: Was the car a Verso?

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's interesting, thanks SLM. Could it have been hybrid as well? Now I think about it, it was eerily quiet at idle, and near silent from idle to about 10/15mph when noise-wise it would then go all weirdo.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
that's interesting, thanks SLM. Could it have been hybrid as well? Now I think about it, it was eerily quiet at idle, and near silent from idle to about 10/15mph when noise-wise it would then go all weirdo.
The only hybrid of that size would be the prius+ or Auris Touring (estate). If it was a hybrid under acceleration, the louder noise and rev increase would be met with a hard acceleration as they are more responsive in that respect compared to the other CVT gearbox.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only hybrid of that size would be the prius+ or Auris Touring (estate). If it was a hybrid under acceleration, the louder noise and rev increase would be met with a hard acceleration as they are more responsive in that respect compared to the other CVT gearbox.
Ah, ok, thank you - understood. Next time, I will pay more attention to the badges on the back :)

·
Registered
15,807 Posts
We have a diesel Citroen at work which is a an automated manual which gives the impression that you're doing that. It's absolutely shocking and it amazes me that nobody noticed this before it went into production.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Automated manual like selespeed on the Alfa? They suck no matter what manufacturer car they are fitted to. That characteristic is a typical drawback to CVT, definitely doesn't help on smaller engine cars as it feels like your killing the car just to go an extra 10mph.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Toyota do offer automated manuals. My dad's Yaris has one. Hateful thing.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Toyota do offer automated manuals. My dad's Yaris has one. Hateful thing.
Yep, they call it MMT and its pretty much the same as selespeed. Seen loads of MMTs needing a clutch after 15k miles and worn out motors after 30k. They are pants and thankfully they moved to CVT as bills at a dealer were around 2k for some repairs!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
One of this week’s taxis was a Toyota. I’m not sure what model it was, but I think it was the MPV derivative of a normal model because a) my God it was ugly and b) it was mahoosive in the back.

There was a stubby little P/R/N/D lever mounted high on the dash, so it was an auto - but here’s the thing. Whenever the driver accelerated (which was often. Only a nervous twitch in his right leg can explain why he kept needlessly pressing then releasing the accelerator, press, release, press, release and so on, which went on for mile after mile after miserable mile), the car made a noise like the clutch was slipping - a sudden rising of the revs not matched by much in the way of go bar once when, after dueling aggressively with a moped driver in traffic, the taxi driver made a sudden attempt to, basically, murder him. This time, there was no release on the accelerator. Heck, there’s no point going away if there aren’t going to be any memorable moments! Anyway, imagine my joy when, on the return journey, the same taxi came to collect me...with the same driver.

But anyway - what was going on with the ‘box? I don’t think I’ve ever experienced anything like it before. Any ideas?
torque convector lockup releases when you press the pedal deeper, so you get torque converter slippage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts