Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as per the title, I was joining the M27 last night in stop-start traffic, when all of a sudden, the headlamps, instrument cluster and stereo packed in, the engine spluttered, then all electrical power was restored - it was just a blip, so

I was greeted with the warning 'excessive coolant temperature' or some such, despite the dial reading just shy of 90 deg, and 'ABS unavailable', the battery warning lamp remained in the OBD and all the trip counters had reset - I continued for another agonising 10mi at about 5mph on the motorway with only the lights and wipers on, (radio and blowers off) before I could pull off at the next junction.

I left the engine running and checked under the bonnet, auxiliary and alternator belts are in place and intact, confident that there wasn't an issue, I switched off the car, and restarted - all fine, no warnings and no sign of a weak or discharged battery - I got home late so couldn't dig out MES to check for any retained codes, and my return trip was uneventful, as was my trip to work this morning - I'll check for any codes this evening along with any obvious electrical concerns.

Car is a 2.4 with a overspecced battery, which is just over a year old (https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/ea900/), the common earth points were cleaned about a year ago and were relatively clean - the only issue I have had with potential charging is the PAS pipe leaked oil over the alternator, which was cleaned with an electrical contact cleaner, and performance was checked last week reading a healthy 14.2V across the battery with engine running.

It seems as if the car just lost all electrical power temporarily albeit for less than a second, so I'd imagine it's not a specific ECU error - but anyone had a similar experience??

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
When I had a similar thing (not exactly the same) is was poor grip by that silly quick release earth terminal on the battery. A thin strip of copper between the negative post and the clamp cured that for me. Of course yours could be completely different!!!......but it has all the symptoms of a sudden voltage/current drop.....I have also had a faulty battery fail in well under a year on my old Merc....so its a possibility....

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally got MES on it, no errors on any module, did consider the battery terminals, but never found them to be an issue in the past, today no exception, and all fuses and connections are intact.

Putting a meter across the battery comes out at 12.46v which is a little on the low side, but doubtful this would be the cause of my issue surely?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had something like this years ago on my 147. Intermittant loss of electrical systems. I seem to recall it was a loose connection to an inertia switch located under the drivers seat. The switch was designed to shut down electrical systems in the event of a high impact crash to reduce fire risk. I could replicate the fault whilst moving the seat backwards and forwards abruptly whilst driving.
Just a thought...

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have a recheck of all the earths at the weekend, they were only checked in July and were in good nick, but worth eliminating, battery terminals are solid and show no sign of corrosion. I did wonder about the battery isolation switch (as per Navlet's suggestion) in the engine fusebox, but no idea how to test (on the 147 the inertia switch was to cut off fuel pump supply).

I've also got an HID kit fitted, so might run without that if it reoccurs, as I don't do much country driving nowadays, I've no need for it.

Otherwise, looks like it's just a glitch, albeit a bit of a weird one!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after checking the earths, all nice and tight, no obvious issues, it happened again, coasting to the lights, when all went dead, this time engine fully died, no errors this time, apart from battery warning lamp.

Have checked battery voltage, and even charged the battery to be sure, charging circuit is apparently fine, giving about 14.2V

Car has no errors logged and, starts and runs fine, just can't get to the bottom of this, checked connections to key slot and all radio connections just in case.

Had put last issue down to being a bit wet out, but this time was dry as a bone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well after checking the earths, all nice and tight, no obvious issues, it happened again, coasting to the lights, when all went dead, this time engine fully died, no errors this time, apart from battery warning lamp.

Have checked battery voltage, and even charged the battery to be sure, charging circuit is apparently fine, giving about 14.2V

Car has no errors logged and, starts and runs fine, just can't get to the bottom of this, checked connections to key slot and all radio connections just in case.

Had put last issue down to being a bit wet out, but this time was dry as a bone.
well.. this never happened to me while driving

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had similar on Saturday. Whilst changing down a gear round a 70mph corner, everything cut, engine stopped dead at that point, no power steering. A 'clenching' moment!
2.4 Brera too.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had similar on Saturday. Whilst changing down a gear round a 70mph corner, everything cut, engine stopped dead at that point, no power steering. A 'clenching' moment!
2.4 Brera too.
Whilst I'm sorry to hear that, I'm glad it's not just me! Although both times, mines been when either stopped or crawling in traffic, and the interruption in power is so quick the first time the engine hadn't even stopped.

Any aftermarket add-ons to your Brera? Like head unit, HID's etc? Just trying to see if there's an issue of my own making.

I've had my 159 for almost 2 years and this has only reared its head after a slow PAS leak which drenched the alternator - it was all cleaned through with contact cleaner and seems to be performing normally.

·
Registered
28 Posts
27,000 miles and absolutely standard apart from a dash cam.
My Ducati does the same thing, but that is a known fault on them, although the official stance is rider error :rolleyes: Had it cut out, cranked right over between two cars on a roundabout, engine went totally dead and was very lucky to escape that unscathed!
Sorry I can't help, other than that you are indeed not alone.
Damned if I am ever going to date an Italian supermodel, can you imagine :oops:

·
Registered
342 Posts
...the only issue I have had with potential charging is the PAS pipe leaked oil over the alternator, which was cleaned with an electrical contact cleaner, and performance was checked last week reading a healthy 14.2V across the battery with engine running.
I had exactly the same issue with leaking PAS fluid, except it was more correct to say 'flooded' than 'leaked' :mad:. I had the same 'blip' and lack of power as Amfalconer has experienced a couple of times. I thought I'd sorted it with liberal amounts of brake cleaner to remove the contamination but eventually I had to admit defeat and replace the alternator.

I had similar issues after an inner CV boot went on my GTV, showering that alternator in grease. Neither alternator was particularly easy to change but on balance I'd rather do the 2.4 again than the Twinspark.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I haven't seen the setup yet, but from what you guys have said, sounds like there ought to be a cover of some sort to keep alien shite away from the alternator!
If there isn't anything proprietary, sounds like a summer fabrication job!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There actually is a cover, but what looked like a small misting at the top under the pipe was a great green scum covering the alternator, AC compressor etc when viewed from underneath.

Not overly keen on the thought of replacing the alternator... Wonder if it can be opened and cleaned/returned at home..

·
Registered
342 Posts
It wasn't that bad (with the assistance of a ramp and an Alfa mechanic). My replacement alternator was returned on an exchange basis so I never investigated if I could be clean and re-assemble it.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've found a replacement at Shop4parts for £163 delivered - seesm to be OEM Denso one, so might have a look at that - I suppose it's easier than trying to disassemble the existing one to find I can't replace the brushes or whatnot.

I'll have a bit more of a hunt before I commit though.

Only done it twice and it was almost a month between occurances so not a huge issue.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just thinking about the job, surely the biggest part is that damned stretch belt surely?? Access seems OK once the intake's all pulled out

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes, I can definitely remember that stretch belt. It was a while ago now but if I remember correctly, we put one bolt into the alternator, fitted the belt and swung the alternator into place before fitting the other bolts. Getting the belt over the pulleys was proving difficult before that...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
got my alt from autodoc. a hella one for 189 i think, same part alfashop had on their site.
like you say, it's a crappy job, my indy says it's the worse job on a 159.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts