Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone can help here as I couldn't find any other threads describing anything like this.

I washed the ti yesterday before we had to make a trip over to portishead.

On our way i could hear a faint noise over the strereo (and the rather loud AC!).
Turned the stereo and the fan down and continued to listen.
Nothing apparent whilst cruising.
Then I turned right and there was this awful sucking / slurping / grinding sound coming from the rear of the car.
Kind of like that noise you get when you get to the bottom of a drink and try to use a straw!
The noise is also apparent when accelerating moderately or going over some bumps in the road - but it's worst while turning right, and not present at all when turning left!

The weird thing is that with the windows down, I can't hear the noise as clearly, when I close them again it sounds worse. I have no idea what is inside the car that could be making such a noise.
I've have inspected visually under the car, and bounced it to see if there was any noise coming from the suspension, but there's nothing!
The more I listen to it, the more convinced I am that it's not mechanical in nature.

I think I'll just have to book it in for some diagnostics, but I'm not all that hopeful they'll find the cause, just wondering if anyone else on here has encountered anything like this before?

Other random thought is that it might be the rear windscreen due to the noise soudning like it's air related... Checked and it doesn't show any signs of movement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, just wondering if this is the same problem I have. I'm sure mine's suspension related as it happens when going over bumps or taking a corner enthusiastically, loading up the suspension - makes a sound like someone sliding metal coins around in a metal baking tray! It only happens on the front passenger side though. Does that sound familiar?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't own an alfa (yet..)

but that sounds like the water from washing you car has got down inside your doors and the weep holes may be blocked....

give all your doors a good shake to locate the water and then take (something thin but hard) and give the weep holes a bit of a poke. they are located under the door near the back (furthest away from door hinge)..

also if your car is normally parked on a flat even surface....try parking it with the nose inclined slightly....i.e. with the nose pointing up and the boot down....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, just wondering if this is the same problem I have. I'm sure mine's suspension related as it happens when going over bumps or taking a corner enthusiastically, loading up the suspension - makes a sound like someone sliding metal coins around in a metal baking tray! It only happens on the front passenger side though. Does that sound familiar?
Hi Barberpapa, I wasn't going to bother following up on this post with the resolution due to lack of interest, but since you ask, your description does sound like the issue I had.

On my car it turned out to be the wheel-arch liner on the passenger side rear. It had come away from it's fixing and was rubbing against the wheel when the suspension was loaded up on that side.

Took it to Blade Alfa in Cheltenham (trying them out for the first time) who claimed to have fixed the noise and were blaming it on the disc-brake quard being bent. Strangely the noise did improve for a bit but was still there and came back worse than before after the next time I washed the car.
A week or so, and much DIY manipulation of the guard later, and still no joy, i booked it into Simonstone in Bristol.
They diagnosed and sorted it within half an hour, the arch liner just had to be clipped back into place.
All nice and quiet now.

Hope this helps with your issue!

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Thats interesting to hear. My previous 159 had this issue and it took me a bloody age to track it down! :headbang:

Pleased its sorted :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks RS,

I've got mine booked in a weeks time to see what it is - the lining does sound perfectly feasible so I think I'll check first to save a wasted journey. I'll post what the solution is when it's found in case theres some others out there with the same issue....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thought I'd follow up on this - although I solved it a few weeks back - I thought I'd check the wheel arch in case it was this - and lo and behold, there was a long cable tie sticking out from between the wheel arch and the bodywork - which must have been touching the wheel when the suspension compressed. I tucked it back in and the noise is gone!!
Thanks RS - you saved me a trip to the dealer!

Anyway - just got back from a 2 week holiday in south france - the Alfa did it wonderfully - and got soooo many admiring looks everywhere it went.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts