Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dears,

I have recently bought an Alfa 147 GTA (lots of smiles :)))))) from abroad. The car needs to be registered in the country I live (Belgium), but in order to do so the car needs to pass an inspection first?

The car is equipped with KW coilovers, which is fine since they are approved for the model.

The problem is that the local legislation foresees that the lowest metal part of the chassis needs to be minimum 11cm from the ground, and even at the highest point of the coilovers i miss half cm approximately .

At the lowest part of the chassis there are 2 metal bars as shown in the picture, they are removable and by removing them i ll get 2 cm extra. Therefore, my question is: if i temporarily remove these 2 bars, will the car be affected somehow?

Apologies for this bizarre question, but it would be really silly to fail the inspection and then be obliged to mount OEM suspension for such a small margin :-(

BONUS question regarding gearbox: The previous owner used a gearbox oil with grade 75w140, do you think is OK to continue use this grade ?

Many thanks in advance :)
Kostas
IMG_20200514_192134.jpg
IMG_20200514_192237.jpg

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
They’re stiffener plates, and yes you could remove them for an inspection - most 156 and 147s don’t have them anyway. I suspect your exhaust may be slightly lower.... Best thing with KWs is to get longer springs - gives you more options on height.

No idea on the box oil!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I think the gearbox is the same spec as the one on the 1.9 JTDm, just different ratio... I believe 75w90 is the standard spec.

EDIT

Just realised there could be a Q2/Quaife diff. - I have no idea what, if any, impact that owuld have on oil selection... Does anyone else know, do you just run the standard gearbox oil with the LSD option fitted?

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
you can remove those stiffeners for the inspection. I have driven my gt v6 with them removed for the best part of 2 years because they trapped moisture and were rotting the floor. Can't say I noticed a huge difference but try to avoid big bumps, the car really doesn't like them.

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
I think the gearbox is the same spec as the one on the 1.9 JTDm, just different ratio... I believe 75w90 is the standard spec.

EDIT

Just realised there could be a Q2/Quaife diff. - I have no idea what, if any, impact that owuld have on oil selection... Does anyone else know, do you just run the standard gearbox oil with the LSD option fitted?
A lot of people have made this mistake - the Q2 & Quaife diffs aren't strictly speaking 'limited slip differentials' in the standard sense, like you would have at the back of an old M5 or something. The Q2/Quaife are torque biasing differentials, no clutch plates inside them like in a limited slip diff, so you don't need limited slip diff oil. When I did a diff oil change on my old E36 M3 Evo, I used Castrol limited slip diff oil which was something like 75w140.

147/GT Q2 are spec'd with the same gearbox oil as 147/GT without Q2. 75w90. Quaife don't make any recommendations for gearbox oil, so sticking with the standard spec is what I recommend.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
A lot of people have made this mistake - the Q2 & Quaife diffs aren't strictly speaking 'limited slip differentials' in the standard sense, like you would have at the back of an old M5 or something. The Q2/Quaife are torque biasing differentials, no clutch plates inside them like in a limited slip diff, so you don't need limited slip diff oil. When I did a diff oil change on my old E36 M3 Evo, I used Castrol limited slip diff oil which was something like 75w140.

147/GT Q2 are spec'd with the same gearbox oil as 147/GT without Q2. 75w90. Quaife don't make any recommendations for gearbox oil, so sticking with the standard spec is what I recommend.
Top man, good knowledge :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They’re stiffener plates, and yes you could remove them for an inspection - most 156 and 147s don’t have them anyway. I suspect your exhaust may be slightly lower.... Best thing with KWs is to get longer springs - gives you more options on height.

No idea on the box oil!
Thanks a lot for the reply rxe! The exhaust is indeed a bit lower, but there might be a margin for argument for this (unlike the chassis). The KW springs could be an option, however, there in not much time to exploit this option at the moment. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

EDIT

There is indeed a Quaife diff on it. But I might replace the oil with the standard spec tho. Thank you :) .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you can remove those stiffeners for the inspection. I have driven my gt v6 with them removed for the best part of 2 years because they trapped moisture and were rotting the floor. Can't say I noticed a huge difference but try to avoid big bumps, the car really doesn't like them.
Thats an interesting perspective to be honest. There is plenty of rain here in Belgium too and the removal of the stiffeners might be proven beneficial. Thank you ransoman :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks a lot for the clarification Pud237! I did not know that, neither the previous owner i guess. The car is indeed equipped with a Quaife diff and i presume thats why he used this kind of oil :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could put new tyres on, and pump them up a little higher than usual. That might give you an extra 5mm.
That would be an option, however, the inspection will check the dimension of the tyres too and they should not deviate from the dimensions indicated in the factory's conformity report! The car is equipped with multi-spokes 18" and the possible tyres' combination give the same height more ore less ....I might pump the current ones a bit more tho! Thanks mikesalfa :cool: .

·
Registered
194 Posts
Where did he find a 75w140 GL4 oil? As you need GL4.

The circumference of the tyres can be 1.5% bigger than the largest size indicated on the COC. look at the GOCA tyre tool, they ask you to put all the sizes from the COC in, and you can then try the next bigger size to see if it's allowed.

I think they check ride height with a 90mm bar so maybe you dont need to remove the strenghtening

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well I was thinking if the tyres are old and worn, you could put a new set on which would have usually 7 - 8 mm tread depth.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where did he find a 75w140 GL4 oil? As you need GL4.

The circumference of the tyres can be 1.5% bigger than the largest size indicated on the COC. look at the GOCA tyre tool, they ask you to put all the sizes from the COC in, and you can then try the next bigger size to see if it's allowed.

I think they check ride height with a 90mm bar so maybe you dont need to remove the strenghtening
Hi Jetronic77, Thanks a lot for the info. Well I don't think that the spec is GL4. The previous owner used the Castrol Syntrax which is GL5 in fact, and i think to replace it with the right spec oil. Regarding the tyres, you are right about the circumference. The car is equipped with 225/35/18, which is in alignment with COC (235/35/18) and GOCA calulation too. The point that the current tyres are in a very good condition and although i could gain some height by replace them, it would be pity and costly. that's why i was thinking to remove the strenghtening. If the bar is 90 mm, there is a good chance to pass the inspection tho. Thank you :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I was thinking if the tyres are old and worn, you could put a new set on which would have usually 7 - 8 mm tread depth.
Yes Mikesalfa, that would be a solution, however, the tyres are in a good condition. They were placed on the car few months ago with less than 3000 km . I ll see if I can pump them a bit tho ;-)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts