Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, a strange on this is

Majotity of the time I unlock the car start engine shut the door and the central locking activates, I thought that was a standard feature and for safety!

However last night same porocedure but I had to grab something from the house and the rain has hammering so shut the door with car running and LOCK :eek:

Pure panic as the engine was running and the car was locked, I then remembered the spare key :thumbs: so able to get in, but this could of happened any where and I would have been knackered.

Anyone else experienace this? what can I check to resolve?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Very common.

Its the cables that run between the lock and the internal handle (called Bowden cables). They will either be incorrectly routed or stretched.... it could also be affected by the springs on the back of the internal handles, they break easily and contribute to this problem.

Its not a massive job to check, the door cards will need to come off - try searching for Bowden cables on here and you will have a whole encyclopaedia of answers - its covered about once a week in some form or another :)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
The other possibility is that it has an alarm system that locks the door - a sort of anti-hijack facility - when the engine is started. The alarm fitted to my car ( non standard ) has this hijack prevention facility but uses the speedo signal to only lock the doors when the car is moving.

Do the doors unlock when you switch off the engine?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for advice guys

I am thinking they do unlick when I turn engine off, I am going to go out and check this and let you know.

:thumbs:

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,370 Posts
The other possibility is that it has an alarm system that locks the door - a sort of anti-hijack facility - when the engine is started. The alarm fitted to my car ( non standard ) has this hijack prevention facility but uses the speedo signal to only lock the doors when the car is moving.
I'm inclined to agree with Paul on this one.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
It doesnt exist as standard - only with aftermarket alarms.

The OP needs to tell us what alarm he has fitted before we can further diagnose.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hello, a strange on this is

Majotity of the time I unlock the car start engine shut the door and the central locking activates, I thought that was a standard feature and for safety!

However last night same porocedure but I had to grab something from the house and the rain has hammering so shut the door with car running and LOCK :eek:

Pure panic as the engine was running and the car was locked, I then remembered the spare key :thumbs: so able to get in, but this could of happened any where and I would have been knackered.

Anyone else experienace this? what can I check to resolve?

Cheers

It has happened to me also luckily when I was at home, I now carry a spare key (with the bulky plastic broken off) in my wallet. I bought a suitable blank off ebay and had it cut.

It is strange with my alarm that sometimes it locks itself and sometimes not. The Meta instuctions indicate that it is supposed to operate with the engine running M99T2 Operating Instructions / Operating Instructions / Vehicle Area / MSYUK / Root folder - Welcome to MetaSystem UK Limited

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All

Thanks all for advice, Have been out in the GTV tonight and yes the doors do lock on start up 99% of the time and unlock as soon as I turn the engine off. So I am thinking it is the alarm: The fob has Hornet on it so will research that I think.

Must remember to carry a spare key at all times or maybe not leave the engine running when not in the car .

Thanks Again

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi i had the same thing with my cup no93, again iv been told it could be a feature on the alarm system i was not so lucky when it happened to me !!! glad sum1 else has had similar problem maybe a slighty different alarm on the gtv ??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts