Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been checking out insurance quotes and something very weird is happening this year...

Prices per year for cars I currently have, or am thinking about having:

£x50 - Peugeot 306 roadster (2.0 16v 135 bhp, 0-60 10.1 sec, top speed 125mph, still pretty common)

£x61 - Peugeot 306 Roland Garros (2.0 8v auto, 110 bhp, 0-60 13.1 sec, top speed 120mph, rarest)

£x60 - Alfa 156 V6 sportwagon (2.5 v6, 192bhp, 0-60 7.2 sec, top speed 143mph, most common)

£x92 - Alfa 156 GTA sportwagon (3.2 v6, 250bhp, 0-60 6.1 sec, top speed 155mph, 2nd rarest, wtf?!)

Performance figures are from Parkers, so similar to the figures used by car insurance companies. I guess I can understand the Roland Garros rarity pushing up the price, but surely it's sluggish performance should push it down again...

And what is going on with the GTA?! It's not quite as rare as the Roland Garros but has more bhp than both 306s put together as well as being renowned for slightly iffy handling, so why on earth is it only £42 per year more to insure than the relatively common, sure-footed 306 roadster?!

Anyone else noticed similar odd changes in their insurance premiums, or are the powers that be trying to tell me I should buy a GTA?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
surely it's just because the GTA will spend more time in the Garage being fixed than actually being driven :p ...

... seriously though car insurance is a lot more sophisticated that it used to be, you'll probably find that the sort of person who buys a GTA loves there cars and as such will not drive it round Asda's car park like a nutcase

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, just been looking at the spectacularly unrealistic estimated values for the insurance, and that might explain it:

Roadster £350 (really £900-1500)
Roland Garros £not known (usually slightly less than the roadster, but really good ones don't come on the market)
V6 Sportwagon £550 (really about £1000-1500)
GTA Sportwagon £1400?! (Er, would you sell yours for that much?)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
The thing about "cheap cars" insurance, is that the cost is not how much it would cost to fix your car, but the likely hood of you hitting a much more expensive one ...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
surely it's just because the GTA will spend more time in the Garage being fixed than actually being driven :p ...

... seriously though car insurance is a lot more sophisticated that it used to be, you'll probably find that the sort of person who buys a GTA loves there cars and as such will not drive it round Asda's car park like a nutcase
:biglaugh: You could be right about the GTA, but luckily I love spanner twirling

The 306 cabriolet is normally driven by middle-aged women and old men, and they're not groups renowned for hooning around car parks (well, I may do it a little bit if nobody's looking), although I guess it could end up lumped in with the 306 gti6 / xsi hot hatches, which are still definitely in boy racer territory.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The thing about "cheap cars" insurance, is that the cost is not how much it would cost to fix your car, but the likely hood of you hitting a much more expensive one ...
Which I'd have put as pretty high likelihood judging by the number of 'cat c' or 'cat d' GTAs you see advertised, whereas, good handling aside, I doubt the Roland Garros could build up enough speed to leave any more than a decent sized parking dent if you hit anyone in it ;)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, whatever caused the skewed value for GTA insurance, it's just removed the one last little voice of common sense in my head which says I shouldn't buy one >:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts