Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did an oil change today, top spec oil of course. Anyway I decided to check the plugs since I was in the general area at the time & found oil over the top of them & all over the points when they were removed. Whether this was engine oil or excess oil from a newbie mechanic I dont know, there was a hell of alot though, all the plugs were soaked. The car has been running relatively fine though since I bought it a week ago. I thought the 700 miles I've done in it since Sunday would burn the oil off but would it still be there?

Engine runs fine, revs a bit high on idle, at around 900 & it is sometime a bit tempremental coming down the revs with the clutch in, sitting at 1500 for a few seconds before settling. I also have the kangaroo problem mentioned elsewhere. It is damn cold here though so that may be the reason.

Trying to see if this could be a big issue or just a bit of stupidity on the mechanics side. It was plugs 1 & 4 which were oily, others were fine. It's a 2litre twin spark.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gasket seems dry, just seemed to be wet oil. Car seemed to run fine with it there. Also it looks like this is the 1st oilchange this car has had in almost 30k... oil filter was rusted on & the oil was like water. Thats no way to treat a car.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Gasket seems dry, just seemed to be wet oil. Car seemed to run fine with it there. Also it looks like this is the 1st oilchange this car has had in almost 30k... oil filter was rusted on & the oil was like water. Thats no way to treat a car.

might not be as bad as you think.

Location of the filter right in the slipstream for mud/grot/water doesn't do it any favours...especially if the bottom engine shield has gone west (haven't bought an Alfa with one attached yet).......I changed my oil/filter last weekend (8000 winter miles in 2 months!!) even that filter was pretty well grotted on and again the oil is very water like (mobil 1) due to being fully synthetic.

I've actually gone for semi-synth this time (being a skinflint and saving cash) as that's what the car was designed to take....doesn't seem any different from synthetic so we'll see if it makes any difference......:thumbs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts