Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, anyone had this one before?

When I switch off the engine and remove the keys from the car a few lights come on and stay on? See pic

I disconnected the battery and tried again but same thing happens

Just been to fill up with petrol and now the petrol cap won't open

Any ideas? Hoping the lights done drain the battery

Thanks Jon image.jpg

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
My inclination would be the ignition switch unit.

Th warning lights would indicate the airbag ECU, and engine ECU are energised and the fact that the fuel cap won't open ( I suspect the electric boot release won't either ) the ignition cut-off relay is energised. I can't see any common failure point there other than the ignition switch itself.

EDIT : Try operating other ignition dependant systems like the electric windows, wipers etc. If they work, then it also points to the whole car being in a state as if the key is turned to 'MAR'.

Try fiddling the key a bit and if that doesn't work, whip off the steering column cowl and disconnect the ignition switch connector to see if it all shuts down.

If that is the cause, the various systems will be draining the battery big time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
+ 1 on the ignition switch.
You cant open the petrol cap en the bootlid when the ecu thinks the car is in ready to start position

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi guys thanks for the advise, I have been playing all day and no further forward, I have disconnected the two connectors behind the key barrel and the lights on the dash are still on? See pic of white connectors I disconnected

Is there something else I should be disconnecting?

The wipers work, indicators and windows up and down etc

Could it be something todo with the dials on the dash or defiantly the ignition switch?

I have noticed in the dark tonight the window switches are also light up on driver side and passenger side

I have read a few post about the key barrel itself and a cog

How do I remove the bloody thing been puzzlers for the last half hour lol

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If you have removed the connectors that plug into the top of ignition switch being held by cable tie and still lights are on then that's odd. Maybe check the connectors and the wiring to the switch.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Just to understand you correct.
you removed the connection to the iginition key and you still saw the lights?

If this is the case I would say the error is elsewhere.

Have you tried to see if the key operated relay I35 is shorted.
Have you tried to see if wipers and windows work without turning on the ignition?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
You removed the connectors that are held down with that cable tie round the ignition barrel in your picture? And everything remained on? You still couldn't pop the boot and fuel cap with those connectors off? The electric windows, wipers ( in fact everything that normally requires the ignition at MAR to work ) continued working with those connectors off the ignition barrel?

If you put the key in and turn it to 'MAR', does the CODE light come on and shortly after go off again? Does anything change on the instrument panel if you turn the key to 'MAR'?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep removed the two white connectors seen in the pic, I had to cut off cable tie first,

With the two white connectors removed the lights were still on the dash.

Trying to put the barrel back in bit doesn't seem to want to go..... Any tips getting it back in and I will test the mars again

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Have you tried to see if the key operated relay I35 is shorted.
I thought of that but from what I can see, there are two outputs from the 'MAR' position - one to the key operated supply relay and the other to an unrelated supply to other systems like fuse F15 which does the oil warning light/instrument cluster.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
OK, I think I may have a scenario.

Disconnect those plugs from the ignition barrel again, then try these things

Does the boot release & fuel cap now work? ( I'm thinking YES )
Does the cigarette lighter work? ( I'm thinking NO )

If so, replug those connectors and test those systems again
This time the opposite results.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Is this correct, what the barrel sits into?

There is a flap thing on the left that I can flick up on down, what position is this ment to be in when re fitting the barrel

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok got the barrel back in.... Ball ache it was a little out so wouldn't line up but managed to straight with screwdriver.

don't know if connected but the boot lid is now automatically popping open all the time, click, click, click, click......it's going metal!!! Omg what's happening!

I have remove the switch in the glove box and the boot is no longer poping open.

Wtf is going on lol!

Right back to the main issue, with the barrel back in, I disconnected both connectors and I still can't open the fuel cap release, and the cigarette lighter still works.

I think she is going to have to go in to the garage as not looking good, hoping I can use for the next two days for work and take I on Thursday I'm day off.

Just charging up the battery and put a 10mm spanner in the boot so i can disconnect the battery while parked up at work so doesn't drain...... The things we do lol!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
OK, that's narrowed things down.

Next, try Henrik's suggestion and remove the ignition supply relay ( I35 ) - on the left side of the main fusebox, there's a column of 3 relays below three fuses. Remove the middle relay of the three.

With the plugs back in the ignition, can you then check what is working and what isn't ( fuel release, windows, mirrors, HRW, wipers lights, indicators, oil warning light, instrument pack etc ).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts