Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think I've got a leak somewhere, can't seem to trace where from though, there's a few drops on the driveway I can see a few drops on the undertray aswell its on left side of the engine under the thermostat, checked all pipes all seem dry coolant hasn't dropped, is there an overflow somewhere I can't seem to find it

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
It's not from your aircon is it? That is normal.

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
If the coolant level hasn't gone down, are you sure it is coolant thats leaking?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the coolant level hasn't gone down, are you sure it is coolant thats leaking?
looks and smells like it, happend last weekend also wet on the front down pipe, been keeping an eye on it seems to have stopped now, but I would like to know where it's coming from got a trip to Wales soon

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Mine had a leak from the thermostat housing where the connections to the heads and water pump pipe are (left side of the thermostat housing. These are push fit connections, each with two 'O' rings which had hardened with heat and age. Check for a dribble of coolant running down below the thermostat. Took me ages to work out where the leak was.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mine had a leak from the thermostat housing where the connections to the heads and water pump pipe are (left side of the thermostat housing. These are push fit connections, each with two 'O' rings which had hardened with heat and age. Check for a dribble of coolant running down below the thermostat. Took me ages to work out where the leak was.
Mmh sounds like that could be it, I'll have a clean up and keep an eye on it over the weekend.
Is it a hard job to replace? Looks a bit tight down there.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It's fiddly more than anything else and getting the thermostat housing off the connections took a bit of persuading. You need to be careful not to pull the water pump pipe off from the water pump end (the black pipe running across the eve). I think the worst bit was having to remove the electrical connection box that sits in the way. I was a bit wary moving the cables and connections about too much.....

I got the 'O' rings from alfaworkshop. If you check on eper you can the part numbers.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yes, but you will also need O rings for the two head inlets as shown as 9 and 10 below. Part no's are 14457880 and 14457580. Each connection actually has two O rings, so you will need two of each (including no 13 you have shown above). The eper diagrams are not that clear but the water pump pipe runs across the vee just below the two head inlets. I would also change the thermostat and gasket while you are at it.

Good luck, let me know if you need any further details......

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info Chris much appreciated, had a clean up this morning went for a blast seems to have stopped leaking,went to see my local mechanic and he's gonna do it when I get the parts gonna get all the hoses replaced aswell autolusso silicone red I think
I love this forum seems like we all love these beautiful Italian machines even though they are constant hand in the pocket. Even after 6 years ownership still a great looking car:thumbup:

Reactions: Chris M

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
No problem, hopefully that will fix it before it becomes more of an issue.

Agree that they are great cars, had mine getting on three years and no intention of selling...!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi All, I need some help on my 3.0 V6 24v GTV it suddenly started loosing cooling liquid on the exhaust manifold, picture attached. Could it be the head gasket ??

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts