Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry folks...gonna be a bit cheeky here :eek:

I've a coolant leak on our runaround Clio ( i know,not Alfa related,she's behaving herself...but u guys are brilliant at technical stuff....:D)

Long story short...dripping underneath car,right between driver and passenger.....only leaks immediately when car is turned on but stops when engine turned off.

With engine turned off it also leaks from below engine if i take the coolant cap off...but leak stops straight away if i put cap back on.

I've been told waterpump by a few in the "know"....but why would it leak and then not with just the cap taken off ??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Aircon breather maybe ?? go for a drive without aircon on then see if its doing it when it stops, if it isnt drippingthats what it is, pretty sure that's all it'll be !!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
With engine turned off it also leaks from below engine if i take the coolant cap off...but leak stops straight away if i put cap back on.

I've been told waterpump by a few in the "know"....but why would it leak and then not with just the cap taken off ??
Because of pressure. Put a straw in a bowl of water and put your finger over one end, now hold the straw up with the open end down and the water will stay in the straw, remove your finger and the water will run out.

Can't you see where it's coming from? It might be dripping in the middle as that's the low point of the engine.....but no guarantee the leak is in the middle. You need to investigate further, there are lots of potential places for a leak.

All the best

Pub

1 - 4 of 4 Posts