Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your thoughts guys ?

I have recently got some new alloy wheels 18" for the GT they look great but im concerned with the weight. The weight is loads heavier than the OE 17" prob a good 8 odd pounds

So my first question is has any one got the weight of a std 18" wheel and tyre ?

So second question is will this extra weight make the handling slower, acceleration slower and increase fuel consumption or any other unforeseen things ?

cheers

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Interesting. I swapped my 17" alfa selespeed wheels for 18" aftermarkets. But the new wheels were much, much lighter than the alfa 17s. And the ride improved (a lot less crashy over bumps) with the 18s, chiefly because the lower unsprung weight.

The extra weight wont really effect fuel consumption and performance, but it will effect the ride and handling-the lower the unsprung wieght the better.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i would imagine that it could affect the performance and fuel consumption, im not sure by how much.

any rotating mass will need more power to spin if it is heavier

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah it will, but not noticably-its about 16 kgs extra, same as a few bags of shopping
thats on the wheels tho, am sure i read on here somewhere on here that if its unsprung weight than that has the effect of being equevalant to either 4 or 8 times as sprung weight, so the 16kg on teh wheels can equate to anywhre between 64 to 128kg in the car.... i could be wrong tho.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
yes, as it is unsprung weight the effect is greater, also as it is a rotating mass the effect is greater, taking a few kg off the weight of a flywheel on an engine makes quite a difference due to centrifugal forces, the same would be true of the wheels

try swinging a bag of shopping around in a big circle then take a few items out and see how much easyer it is even though the overall weight isnt much different

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
GT 18" multispoke + tyre is about 21.5kg each.

GT 3.2L 17" multispoke (17x7.5" wheel; not the 17x7") + 225/45 tyre is about the same.

:)

·
Registered
471 Posts
A rule of thumb from the cycling world is that a pound of weight off of your wheels is worth 3 pounds off the frame.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
If you are making big changes to your unsprung weight you'll need to adjust your suspesion to compensate for it as the damping rates will be all wrong.

·
7,713 Posts
they are 'heavier than alfa 18s'. not sure if it is bad though.

if you don't notice any adverse effect, then it doesn't really matter does it?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Like I said the 17" selespeeds I replaced with 18s were much heavier and the 18s ride so much better and dont crash over bumps like the 17s. And bearin in mind what everyone above has said about unsprung weight, I would say get some lighter ones.

I wish I d weighed the selespeeds before I sold them. Anyone know how much 17" selespeeds weigh?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well ive put them on and decided i dont like them :S so will sell them. You could say there is a slight lazier pick up with the extra weight but nothing major difference.

·
7,713 Posts
pics? WE can be the judge of that. ;) :D

D

·
0 Posts
My lord 21kg for a wheel and tyre my wheels and tyres combined are only 8kgs max per wheel.

·
7,713 Posts
21kg seems heavy, yeah? i was surprised by the weight of a tyre actually. my 19" wheels on the GT are sub-11kg each; so the tyres are about 12kg each.

so don't be surprised if your wheel+tyre weigh in around 18~20kg. :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts