Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that the rocker cover on my 159 TBI is weeping slightly. Has anyone ever replaced the gasket before? Any hints and tips?

I have replaced rocker cover gaskets before in simpler engines but the TBI has a lot more electrics and pipework to contend with.

·
Vendor
45,437 Posts
Yes we've done it a few times. The camshafts are held down by the rocker cover, they don't have separate cam caps. So you need to take the cambelt off to take the rocker cover off.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes we've done it a few times. The camshafts are held down by the rocker cover, they don't have separate cam caps. So you need to take the cambelt off to take the rocker cover off.
Ah I think I may have got my terminology wrong. It appears to be leaking from underneath this part: https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/images/55215132-5385-1-800.jpg which is actually the segregator which I suspect is much easier to replace?!

·
Vendor
45,437 Posts
Ah I think I may have got my terminology wrong. It appears to be leaking from underneath this part: https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/images/55215132-5385-1-800.jpg which is actually the segregator which I suspect is much easier to replace?!
There is a rubber gasket between that plastic cover and the rocker cover which is below.

The rocker cover gasket is just silicone, by the way, and they are prone to failure. When they fail, they tend to fill the spark plug holes with oil.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a rubber gasket between that plastic cover and the rocker cover which is below.

The rocker cover gasket is just silicone, by the way, and they are prone to failure. When they fail, they tend to fill the spark plug holes with oil.
Is any oil held between the segregator and the rocker cover?

I'm hoping it hasn't failed at the rocker cover as it has only had it's cambelt changed last summer!

Thanks for the tip.

·
Vendor
45,437 Posts
There will be oily vapour in there for sure, and probably under at least a bit of pressure. Wouldn't hurt to change the gasket first and see how you go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There will be oily vapour in there for sure, and probably under at least a bit of pressure. Wouldn't hurt to change the gasket first and see how you go.
Hi, Im going to do the camblet on my TBI, i have an oil leak to the spark plug wells, probably its leaking from the rocker cover.

Do i need to replace the gasket completely and reinforce it with sealant? or should i remove the old gasket and then add sealant?

·
Vendor
45,437 Posts
Hi, Im going to do the camblet on my TBI, i have an oil leak to the spark plug wells, probably its leaking from the rocker cover.

Do i need to replace the gasket completely and reinforce it with sealant? or should i remove the old gasket and then add sealant?
The rocker cover to cylinder head gasket is purely silicone, thats all there is sealing them. The only replaceable gasket is between the black plastic cover and the rocker cover.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The silicone gasket is made using two different types of sealants. You will need Loctite 5205 and Loctite 5900. Alfa sells them at silly prices. You can get them cheaper online, but still quite expensive.

alfa-tbi-loctite.png

1 - 11 of 11 Posts