Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of things to do this weekend, not a lot actually achieved. :rolleyes:

1. Oil change - I failed dismally to remove the sump plug. Any tricks? I had visions of destroying the sump, so stopped after I managed to shear one hex adapter. Any ideas? Pay someone to deal with it?

2. Brake pads. Measured the discs whilst I was at it, and they're at the wear limit, so need replacing. Before I attempt the job, is there anything to watch out for?

3. Exhaust has cracked somewhere in the triangular box. Looks as if the mountings are too soft, causing it to crack where the backbox connects. Has anyone else had this problem? Looks like another mount could be added between the back box and the triangular box that would help reduce this problem. Looks like I need a new cat-back system before the MOT :eek: . Bit of a pain because cracks aside, the system is relatively new and in good condition.

4. Changed spark plus without too much drama (other than finding two plug holes full of oil - cracked cam cover, see wanted section).

Sorry for the essay,

Robert.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
re oil in plug wells, this is common. It is due to the rocker gaskets being in need of replacement (cost about £6), disks are easy to change, cat back exhaust about £100

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Be careful with the sump plug, there is a history of stripping the threads, resulting in need for either 1) helicoil kit, or 2) new sump! :(
If changing disc, I'd recommend giving the wheel alignment pins a good soak in WD40 before starting work to avoid shearing them, and having to tap the holes. I also had oil in plug wells, as JackPJW says, it's the rocker gasket :)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IF you should be unlucky enough to strip the threads in the sump: Alfa stock an oversize sump plug, so you can get away without helicoiling, just drilling and tapping. If you don't go mad with the electric tools you can even do it on the car, as long as you're careful and clean the hole and threads of all debris.
How to tell if you have the standard size plug: standard size has a solid copper washer, oversize plug has a thin squashable washer.

·
Administrator
46,080 Posts
mave said:
If changing disc, I'd recommend giving the wheel alignment pins a good soak in WD40 before starting work to avoid shearing them, and having to tap the holes.
Ha!! Wish someone had told me that when I did my front discs. Mind you, for the second wheel, I did put shedloads of WD40 on and left overnight, and they still snapped like putty.
My fronts don't actually have any alignment pins in them any more :eek:
Of course, with the wheel on everything is held together by the wheel nuts anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Seems to freak the tyre garage staff out though when they take the wheel off and the spacer falls off on their foot :cheese:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
bazza said:
Ha!! Wish someone had told me that when I did my front discs. Mind you, for the second wheel, I did put shedloads of WD40 on and left overnight, and they still snapped like putty.
My fronts don't actually have any alignment pins in them any more :eek:
Of course, with the wheel on everything is held together by the wheel nuts anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Seems to freak the tyre garage staff out though when they take the wheel off and the spacer falls off on their foot :cheese:
Ha ha, I found out the same way as you! :) For about 2 years I had one side with no pins, and one side with only one. :D :D Every time I've had the tires change they moan about it, and how they won't be able to balance the wheels :rolleyes: , but it's not enough to make any difference that I can feel :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts