Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Being my first Alfa, there are a few characteristics I'm not sure if they are normal or not.
Family arrived for a visit, and I found that 2 adults in the back and a couple of medium suitcases, and the car was bottoming out, scraping, over a lot of undulations. Its a smaller car than we are used to, but does this sound normal? We are going fully loaded back to the UK in a couple of months, and worried that we will be dragging our asses all the way.
Paul

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not normal at all :(

My 2005 156SW was the same - rear springs and shocks were shot - not bad enough to fail an NCT / MOT / Controle Technique - but certainly nowhere near normal specifications.

Replaced with new - car rides higher now when empty (not a big deal), but handles so much better over bumps etc.... not a very expensive job, but that'll depend on how much you value the car!

P

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought not.
Ill do the work, when we do a UK trip we fill every cubby hole, so weak springs are no good lol.
Thanks

·
Registered
39,284 Posts
Doesn't the sportwagon get self levelling dampers at the back in some versions? Maybe they are shot?

·
Registered
30,291 Posts
Doesn't the sportwagon get self levelling dampers at the back in some versions? Maybe they are shot?
Yep, optional extra.
When shot they will sit low.
Self levellers have a thicker body to the damper. Around £1k/pair last time I looked.... So most switch to std springs & dampers plus std top mounts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.
Being my first Alfa, there are a few characteristics I'm not sure if they are normal or not.
Family arrived for a visit, and I found that 2 adults in the back and a couple of medium suitcases, and the car was bottoming out, scraping, over a lot of undulations. Its a smaller car than we are used to, but does this sound normal? We are going fully loaded back to the UK in a couple of months, and worried that we will be dragging our asses all the way.
Paul
Definitely get your rear bump stops checked out. They had perished in my 2007 147 and caused a rubbing noise over speed bumps and dips in the road at motorway speeds when fully packed with luggage in the back.

·
Registered
2003 Spider 3.0 V6 24v Lightning Blu
2,281 Posts
Definitely not normal. Mine does ride a bit lower when loaded but I've had 4 burly mates (1 in front 3 in back) and 5 smaller sized ladies (1 in front and 4 in back) and never had a problem.

It's a 147 so suspension work won't go amiss on a 147 of that age.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts