Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Newbie here but long time Alfa owner :)

I've noticed for a while that the heater in my 2002 156 is weak to say the least, but in the cold this morning, it's taking a good half hour of driving to be barely noticable!

My water temp gauge only moves slightly too once warmed up, but when I sit in traffic for a while the fan does on.

I'm thinking thermostat, or am I barking up the wrong tree? If people think thermostat are they a DIY job?

Many thanks in advance for any help people may offer!

Cheers!:thumbs:

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Yes, thermostat. Reasonably easy DIY job, there are several guides on here. It will pay for itself in one winter as consumption tends to be awful when the engine is overcooled. It should reach 90 after a few minutes of driving.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Just to check - when you've sat in traffic for a while, does the gauge get up close to 90? If the gauge is low, even after sitting in traffic with the fans on, then the gauge/sender is knackered. If the gauge gets to 90 in traffic, then goes way down when you are moving, then it is the thermostat.

Normal behaviour is up to 90 thereabouts quite quickly - I think normal temeperature is about 85 or so. So 5 minutes after setting off, the car should be hot. If you sit in traffic, the needle should go up a bit, then the fans come on, and it should go down a bit. As soon as you get moving, it should drop just below 90.

G

·
My car takes ages to heat up when just sitting still, but driving along, it's up to temp in a couple of minutes. Mine shows about half way between the midpoint from 50-90 mark and the 90 mark on the temp dial all the time its moving hot or cold weather. The interior heater circuit is always on, so if you drive with the heater on full, the engine takes a lot longer to show temperature. I find living with the cold for a mile or two gets the heater warm, then I'm fine!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some good thoughts people, thanks.

I'll be out in the car later today and have a proper look at the gauge etc and let you know.

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi

Did you resolve this ? I have the same problem in my facelift 156. It takes a good half an hour to get any heat from the heater and the gauge reads 50 dec C for almost all my journeys. Once the interior is warm though it's toasty. Just takes a blinking long time.

Does this sound familiar? From what the previous posts said this doesn't sound like the thermostat and my fuel consumption isn't too bad as I get about 610 miles from 56 litres. That's topping up as soon as the light comes on to full and back to red light on fuel gauge again.

·
Registered
39,591 Posts
Hi

Did you resolve this ? I have the same problem in my facelift 156. It takes a good half an hour to get any heat from the heater and the gauge reads 50 dec C for almost all my journeys. Once the interior is warm though it's toasty. Just takes a blinking long time.

Does this sound familiar? From what the previous posts said this doesn't sound like the thermostat and my fuel consumption isn't too bad as I get about 610 miles from 56 litres. That's topping up as soon as the light comes on to full and back to red light on fuel gauge again.
You need a new thermostat. The fuel economy difference will only be 1 or 2 MPG in some cases between a stuck open one and one that is functioning correctly.

the fact that the car sits at 50ºC is the giveaway, is should stay at a fairly steady 90ºC maybe rising a bit more in traffic.

If the air volume coming through the heater is low try changing the pollen filter, most people don't realise that they should be done every 12 months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok. Thanks for that. I'll do a bit of research and find out whether this is a DIY job or not and how much it's going to cost.

·
Registered
39,591 Posts
I think the stat is about £35 for the JTD (Try Eurocarparts) and if it is like on a TS it is an easy fix.

2 bolts and a few hose clips.

G

·
mine reads slightly low but i checked it via the ecu reading using fiatecuscan and it is fine.
so often it's just the sender that's reading wrong, not a failed thermostat.
but if you are taking an age to get any heat from the heater then your stat is most likely knackered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. Sorry for the absence.
Got the thermostat for £28 and local mechanic to fit for £20. Job done!
Nice and warm now and sits just below 90 as opposed to 50.
Interesting to read about the pollen filter though. Next job I think...
Thanks for all the help :thumbs:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts