Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after many different attempts to fix the weak radio reception in the 159 I decided to get a little drastic with it :thumbs:

The 159 aerial is active and requires phantom power so if you replace the factory head unit with an after market one you need an in-line power adapter to deliver power to the factory aerial. This is fine until your modern head-uint has DAB radio or GPS as to get these working you now need to stick all sorts of window and dash mounted additional aerials on the car that just look tatty.

So first tried an in-line FM/DAB splitter but unfortunately despite what any of these are advertised as they are only compatible with passive aerials and this means they will not work in the 159 at all.

So after a number of different window mounted ones that all ruined the look of the car I decided that the only solution was to replace the factory aerial with an after-market unit that was capable of delivering the features I needed without spoiling the lines of the car.

A little research found this: Kinetic DRA-6005 GPS FM-AM DAB car aerial

DRA-6005.jpg

This unit gives FM/AM/DAB/GPS all from a single unit and is not a huge difference in size than the OE one.

It took about 3 hours to fit it and its not a massive job but you do have to get the roof lining loose at the rear which takes a bit of effort.

The short process is:

1) Remove the 2 press studs in the rear rear of the roof lining
2) remove the rear light cluster & remove the nut behind it
3) remove the airbag logos off the two rear quarter panels and remove the bolts behind them
4) remove the top bolt from the rear seat side panels (assuming you are split fold) and slide forward to access the remaining bolts under the the rear quarter panels. then pull inwords and remove both
5) remove the rear grab handles
6) pullthe door trim away from the roof area.
7) the roof can now be pulled down to access the aerial
8) remove the aerial nut (22mm) and disconnect the FAKRA connector
9) pull the aerial hard out the roof (it has a couple of small tabs that will bend out the way

Now just install your new aerial and put it all back together in reverse! dont forget you run all your new cables to the front. I bought 3 x 5 meter extension cables from the FM/AM & DAB & GPS to make life easier.

Total cost £100 :thumbs:

I now have perfect reception and GPS preparation for an upgrade planned soon.

I am sure a few of the purists will recoil in the horror of me changing an external feature of such a pretty car but I am sorry to say, function in this case outweighs form.

IMG_0495[1].jpg IMG_0497[1].jpg
IMG_0507[1].jpg IMG_0504[1].jpg
IMG_0505[1].jpg

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really? I know they changed the aerial type in 2007/2008 to the bee sting one (about 6" long on the roof at the back) but I thought the pre 2008 one was still an external unit in the same place, just smaller?

Take a picture and upload it!

In answer to your question though, if its just AM/FM and you have changed from factory to an after-market unit you need a phantom power injector like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Phantom-Power-ISO-to-DIN-Aerial-Adaptor-Autoleads-/331097410760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d16f18cc8

If you have a phantom power adapter, or it can be enabled in an option in the AVIC Head unit, and reception is still poor, then you need to swap the aerial like I did.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
In answer to your question though, if its just AM/FM and you have changed from factory to an after-market unit you need a phantom power injector like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Phantom-Power-ISO-to-DIN-Aerial-Adaptor-Autoleads-/331097410760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d16f18cc8
That's what I bought and as far as I know, it was fitted.

If you have a phantom power adapter, or it can be enabled in an option in the AVIC Head unit, and reception is still poor, then you need to swap the aerial like I did.
Hmm, any ideas what I should be looking for on the AVIC to enable?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
It will say phantom power of it's an option. No idea if they support it or not.
Found an option 'ANT CTRL' and the options are 'POWER' and 'RADIO'. Toggling between the two seemed to make no difference to radio reception.

And sorry for the confusion, I DO have an exterior aerial on my 159....

I already have GPS antenna fitted, can I just swap out the aerial with another more powerful without any changes to wiring?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, Jay. I know the post is a bit old, but as i just ordered a new Kenwood Dab+CarPlay unit, i am concidering a DAB aerial instead of the window placed antenna.

Just that 100£ seems a bit too much i my ears for a aerial.. do you think this kind is doing the same work? http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=252554116252

Or might it be a BIG quality/reseption differ?

Thanks, mate, really Nice post! :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hey Jaba,

Many thanks for this post. Am having similar problems with the DAB+ on my car. Funny enough, here in Berlin, had similar problems with different DAB devices in similar areas of Berlin. Nevertheless, the FM signal also seems to be weak. So was searching for solution for some time now.

I had one more request of the new solution: that I do not need to remove the antenna each time when I go to automatic car wash (first reason am lazy, second is that each time we expose contacts to chemicals, it is reducing the conductivity of the contact aka creates more losses)

so, I found this on eBay interesting (am still not decided on the looks of it)

seams to be doing the same/similar job like your proposal! just need to see if I want to go this route (is bit ugly shark-fin, saw some nicer ones)

unfortunately, have more urgent thing to sort out: my V6 has issues with ignition coil nr 4!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mash, i have been looking at something similar for a few days. Have you had a look at http://m.ebay.de/itm/SHARK-Dach-Antenne-DAB-Radio-AM-FM-Sharkfin-Haiflosse-Auto-KFZ-PKW-BUS-SMB-DIN-/371865187454?hash=item5694e4747e:g:NwcAAOSwtfhYrHgl&_trkparms=pageci%3A1b8970d5-1c46-11e7-9469-74dbd1a01749%7Cparentrq%3A4d1ba5db15b0a5e2995ecdb2fffe8f89%7Ciid%3A7 this shak fin? A lot cheaper and a bit more discreet, but not quite shure if i really like the design yet.

Anyways, i'm thinking of one of theese And replace the original aerial

·
Registered
625 Posts
Mash, i have been looking at something similar for a few days. Have you had a look at SHARK Dach Antenne DAB+ Radio AM/FM Sharkfin Haiflosse Auto KFZ PKW BUS SMB DIN | eBay this shak fin? A lot cheaper and a bit more discreet, but not quite shure if i really like the design yet.

Anyways, i'm thinking of one of theese And replace the original aerial
thanks Veboor for this info. this Shark fin reminds me too much on VW ones, which is absolute NO-GO for me. More important, this one does not provide the GPS signal for the Navigation in AVIC (which could be sorted out by using Pioneer's one and hiding it somewhere). Need to check how the installation was done in my car before deciding.

I find the shark fins on Volvo and Range Rovers more elegant solutions. Once bought one on eBay from an older Volvo, but the problem was it was only for FM/GPS, no DAB+. so I backed off from that project. maybe I should go and consult those guys who installed my AVIC system, what they think.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just remember that as FM-antenna, it is impossible to make as good reception on a shark-style antenna as on a traditional "whip"...Not saying the shark is no good, but a longtraditional "whip"-type will beat it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In other words, the link i posten a few posts up, the dab+FM bee sting might be the best bet here? And maybe install the in-box gps antenna somewhere out of sight?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just a quick note, cars that come equipped from factory with a "shark fin" antenna usually only use it for GPS and GSM, the FM antenna is usually on the rear window (a thin wire, similar to the defog wires). Like Chipmik said, if you buy one of those that also claims FM and DVB reception you will be disappoint with the performance. Unfortunately, if you care about reception performance there is no substitute for a vertical whip.

Edit: Example of a BMW rear window with the antennae arrangement : http://bmwtools.info/forum/uploads/monthly_02_2015/post-2924-0-73634700-1423512863.png
Note how long the conductors are and how they use several antennae to try and mitigate reception problems from having them so close to the car's metal frame, and how that requires a more complex amplifier to process the radio signals.

·
Registered
625 Posts
how complex was 156's rear window heating antena? would it be possible to adapt 159's to that system?

156 didn't had that complex heating/antenna system as per BMW

·
Registered
625 Posts
anyone tried this?

:depressed:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Anyone recommend a replacement FM aerial for a 2006 plate 159?

Had got an aerial from a 2009 Ti in a scrapyard but it's not suitable apparently.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone recommend a replacement FM aerial for a 2006 plate 159?

Had got an aerial from a 2009 Ti in a scrapyard but it's not suitable apparently.

There is quite few different if you look up 159 fm aerial on ebay. Planning on a Dab aerial myself

1 - 20 of 31 Posts