Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '94 155 Q4 and I have a question.

I never felt safe with my Alfa's brake. ABS runs very early and car does not stop. On the other hand in frequent braking, the system completely fails and I need to rest my car for a while.

Do you hava a suggestion for brake? I want to change the whole system.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
budweiser said:
I have a '94 155 Q4 and I have a question.

I never felt safe with my Alfa's brake. ABS runs very early and car does not stop. On the other hand in frequent braking, the system completely fails and I need to rest my car for a while.

Do you hava a suggestion for brake? I want to change the whole system.
Brake pads unsuitable / brake fluid need changing as well?

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Stori said:
Brake pads unsuitable / brake fluid need changing as well?
Yep...

Change the brake fluid first and bleed the system, so you know it's as good as it can be. Old fluid soaks in water and then in hard use that boils, so you get vapour in the system which is compressible, so your brake pedal goes "long" (to the floor).

Any air in the system normally does the same.. mushy pedal followed by brake fade when it's hot - the air pocket/bubble gets bigger when it's heated so the amount of system that is not occupied by fluid is bigger.

Once you have done that, if it's still bad then we can have a look at your calipers, pads and discs (maybe even the servo') though if ABS is cutting in it would suggest that the brakes aren't tooooo bad!

Earlier ABS systems are a bit of a woose, in my experience. Hugely brilliant/expensive front tyres may hang on a bit longer, if you're running budget brand jobbies at the moment.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Hmm, when I got my Q4 the brakes were never that good, the fade when I took it on a track was jsut shocking but it is a heavy car to stop,

about 2 months ago ,i changed the fluid, braided hoses, all pads and discs and they are sorted :)

my abs at what I consider to be normal time :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the Q4 have the brake bias spring doodah like the other 155's ???

This is always the first thing to check I'd say as the springs last 27 minutes before rusting up and snapping. This causes all the braking to be done by the front wheels. A few hard presses in the twisties and they begin to fail pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'd go with Marlon's suggestion. Also make sure that the discs are in good condition (not excessively grooved or blackened by corrosion underneath the shiny surface). Remove any rust from the edges of the discs and reface the pads with some emery and a flat surface if necessary. Check that some of the pads aren't seized in the carriers. If so, remove them and clean the carriers with a file to allow the pads to slide freely.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
marlon said:
Does the Q4 have the brake bias spring doodah like the other 155's ???

This is always the first thing to check I'd say as the springs last 27 minutes before rusting up and snapping. This causes all the braking to be done by the front wheels. A few hard presses in the twisties and they begin to fail pretty quickly.
Yes it does, first thing i checked on mine come to think of it!! :rolleyes: Good advice! :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok at first step I will change the fluid and replace the hoses with steel hoses. Pads are changed 3 months ago and they are good I believe. I will write the result again..

thanks buddies

1 - 9 of 9 Posts