Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has in his garage a set of the wheels below from my mums old Micra, and is trying to sell them. PCD is 4 x 100, and offset is perfect at 38mm. Was wondering if these could fit my Sprint (4 x 98mm, 38mm offset) as I actually think they look rather nice.
Is it possible?? Although the car is a LOOONG way from being mobile . . . . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I think it could be close

Alfa 4x98 Centre bore 58.1mm or 58.6mm - I think 1.7 Sprint is 58.6mm because I remember I had problem to fit 58.1mm Lancia alloys to mine.

Micra 4x100 Centre bore 59.1mm

So it looks like the wheels will fit BUT you have 0.5mm to 1.0mm of play around the centre bore - this could cause vibration when driving or cause the bolts to become loose. Honestly I have no idea if this difference would be too much or ok

Alloy wheel fitment guide and pcd's.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am sure with some wobble bolts and a bit of playing about you could probably get them to fit. but check they will not catch on the rear suspesion!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Yes , you can use them but with different bolts in order to center the holes .There will be no problem since the offset is optimum.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
My concern is that the bolts dont centre the wheel they just hold it in place against the hub. The centre bore is what actually centers the wheel and the wheel might be free to move because of the 0.5-1.0mm play in the centre bore.

It is such a small amount that it might not be any problem and wobbly bolts can be used to account for the difference between 98 and 100mm PCD

·
Registered
315 Posts
The bolts aren't meant to take the weight of the car, that's the job of a properly fitting centre bore.

As Pascs said, it's a small difference - 58.6 vs 59.1 mm - and it might not be too much of a problem. Lots of people do swap wheels around between different car makes, I don't know how much attention they pay to the centre bore dimensions but you don't hear of a huge amount of problems, for road use anyway. Nevertheless I'd be wary.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Ordinary steel road wheels are not usually "hub centric", they are supported by the cone bolts. Unless the Micra wheels are in danger of breaking up when located only by the bolts, it should be possible?

(If you don't say yes my rear wheels will collapse :p )

Lauren

·
Registered
870 Posts
im with the other guys, the wheel should be centred on the hub / bore, not held in place by the bolts.

also .. wobble bolts are the work of the devil, i know some tuners that refuse to fit them after problems,

just my 2p worth ... if you have a 98mm pcd hubs, fit wheels for a 98mm pcd ... the time / effort / money you will spend getting these to fit you can just go buy a set of wheels that will fit properly....

sorry to kill the idea but i went down this route before mate and just want to warn you of the pit falls

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Ordinary steel road wheels are not usually "hub centric", they are supported by the cone bolts. Unless the Micra wheels are in danger of breaking up when located only by the bolts, it should be possible?

(If you don't say yes my rear wheels will collapse :p )

Lauren
I dont think thats correct, its been a long time since I had steel wheels on a car but AFAIK they have the same bore as the hub.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hmm. I was talking in general, rather than specifically Alfasud, but you may well be right. However, I am sure it is not a universal truth that all wheels are hub-centric, which was my point. The Alfa hubs aren't going to disintegrate if a hub centric wheel is not fitted, its down to the stresses on the wheel itself.

The difference in PCD is another matter though, and overall I would agree it seems like a lot of effort to go to so that a passer-by can comment "nice Micra wheels" :D

Lauren

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hmm. I was talking in general, rather than specifically Alfasud, but you may well be right. However, I am sure it is not a universal truth that all wheels are hub-centric, which was my point. The Alfa hubs aren't going to disintegrate if a hub centric wheel is not fitted, its down to the stresses on the wheel itself.

Lauren
You're right that there is also what the Americans call lug-centric wheel fitment (sounds better than nut-centric!). I think that the issue would not be whether the hubs are strong enough, but whether the wheel and nuts are, as they would be stressed differently. I imagine that steel wheels are much stronger in this respect, particularly compared to alloy wheels that probably aren't designed to be fitted that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts