·
Registered
14,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take your pic.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Lotus! For reasons mentioned in last round and dare I say it on here the 156 just doesn't do it for me, sorry. (Please don't hate me!)

·
Super Moderator
44,913 Posts
Funny thing, but that facelift looks more dated than the original these days.

It's still clearly far better looking than the Carlton though, regardless of how interesting a car the latter might be. It's just a big slab of unstyled metal!

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Funny thing, but that facelift looks more dated than the original these days.

It's still clearly far better looking than the Carlton though, regardless of how interesting a car the latter might be. It's just a big slab of unstyled metal!
I'd disagree on the dating of the 156... I know I'm biased but I just don't find the original that pretty, whereas the Series 2 (aka facelift) looked fresh after 6yrs of ownership.

·
Registered
24,518 Posts
The Carlton is a fantastically OTT thing. Dare I say it has almost legendary status among petrolheads but let's be honest, it's no beauty queen. It's a thug. A likeable thug who's trying on a dark suit hoping to look cool but it's not a well cut suit and his knuckles dragging kind of gives it all away.

With a laugh and a tilt of its pretty head the size 10 Alfa dances straight past him on ballet shoes and into the spotlight with a bow.

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
I saw a Carlton in Spain recently; not the Lotus one but a normal 2.0. It was a Champagne colour and in excellent condition, which is a miracle for a 25yr Opel - and indeed an even greater miracle for any car of any age in Spain.

Anyway, it struck me as an absolutely rational piece of design. It looked like a lot of thought - if not necessarily style - had gone into it. I wouldn’t want one, but it actually looked rather ‘intelligent’; even against a backdrop of knackered Peugeots, Renaults and a Citroen saloon so breathtakingly ugly I didn’t bother to check k out the model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts