Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toyota Celica GT-4

Votes: 3 15.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another mixed bag of worthy contenders, apart from those cheating bastards at Toyota.

• Haha
Reactions: manc350

·
Registered
17,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Easy one for me.

The GT-4 is out because of their naughty turbo thing. The Evo is out because I was very much team McRae and therefore Subaru. The AE86 is out because whilst it was an excellent group N and clubman weapon, we have loftier ambitions here. The Proton is out because it's not a 6R4.

The 6R4 wins by virtue of making a good noise, looking mental, and being piloted by Tony Pond. And for donating its engine to a 200mph supercar.

It made me laugh on TG when Flintoff referred to the engine being from a V6 Metro like it was some sort of mediocre production car.

Attachments

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
9,102 Posts
Can't decide between the first two...

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,918 Posts
I like the Celica a lot, but I don’t like cheats.

The Metro does indeed sound epic (more so than I realised), so Metro it is.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
7,848 Posts
Evo for me....always fancied an Evo 6.....but finding ones that are not horribly played with or strangely speced JDM ones is getting hard and values shooting up.....then there is the high teens per gallon to think about!! Unless you can find a rare leather interior one the seat bolsters last about 10 miles! Best ones are already in collections.....never to be finding the limits of their active yaw control again....pity!
As far as Toyota cheating goes?....well its a bit like the VW emissions thing.....basically they all do it but its only the first one caught that gets made an example of!......the rest either stop cheating for a while and hope no one notices....or just get away with it!!

·
Registered
17,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
For those unaware of Toyota's shenanigans you can read all about it here:

There have always been interesting interpretations of the rules in motorsport. The Alfa 155 Silverstone springs to mind. Volvo building homologation specials for touring car racing then taking all the whizzy bits off again and selling them as normal production.cars. Dodgy fuel, illegal TCS, and whatnot in F1.

Toyota's moody turbo is another level (I still don't understand the diagram).

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
I'm going against my rule of the one I would buy and which looks to me the best (which would be the EVO) and voting for the 6R4 because it is total lunacy. I love it.

·
Registered
17,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seems incredible now how free Group B was. Basically as long as you had two seats and abided by kerb weight and tyre size rules, and you built 200 of them, you could do what you wanted. Turbo? Supercharger? Both? Not a problem.

It gave us the most exciting motorsport machines we'll probably every see. That it ended in tragedy is very sad.

There's a documentary called Rallying- the killer years about the rise and fall of Group B which is worth seeking out. One of the things that really comes across is the drivers' fondness for the period.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts