Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my car cleaned at a local hand wash recently, but the teledials were left with many radial dark stains, presumably from salt and brake dust. I have now removed the stains by scrubbing hard with wheel cleaner, but do not like using this as it is supposed to be very corrosive. So, I would like to protect the wheels with a wax coating, but if it is too time consuming to do, I know that I will not be doing it regularly.

Any recommendations for a suitable quick and easy-to-do wax coating? For example, wipe/paint on (do not want wax on the tyres or brakes), wait a while, quickly polish off.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I use silver colour magic every 2 months. Each week, I use halfords trigger spray wheel cleaner (non corrosive) followed by a good spraying with Wax it Wet. Keep 'em clean and they're easy to clean :cool:

Cheers,

·
Registered
50 Posts
when ever i polish my motor i usually use the same polish on the wheels too, Always seems to bring out a good silver shine and wheels don't seem to get as dirty after either. Works for me anyway!!

H

·
0 Posts
Don't buy expensive wheel cleaner Fairy power spray works a treat on Tele's and wax em with body wax I use Meguires on the body and wheels ;)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Whilst you can wax your wheels the heat from the brake dust will very quickly remove the wax. I would recommend using a synthetic sealant such as Autoglym, Zaino, Carlack etc. These will offer much greater periods of protection than wax and an additional benefit is wheel cleaning should be much easier.

As with everything, prep is the key so get the wheels as clean as possible and apply a sealant.

·
Registered
462 Posts
On the subject of teledials:

waxing lyrical about them; what size tyre should they be shod with?
I saw some today that had 205/45/17. These looked wrong - too skinny on the rims.

Any ideas? are they supposed to be 225/45/17?

Agree that sealing the wheels would be best after thorough preparation to get rid of all ground in dust and any road tar etc. this will make them easier to clean and over time will create a barrier against road film and brake dust

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about using silver Turtle Wax Colour Magic as I do use the dark red Colour Magic on the front of the car to hide small paint chips, but it is not very easy to polish off. I read the Auto Express tests on car polishes which recommended, amongst others, Turtle Wax Extreme Nano-Tech Polishing Wax. I decided to use this and found it easy to apply and quick to polish off, which is what was needed - time will tell if it is up to the job.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I waxed the front wheels but not the rear ones at the weekend while I changed the brake pads.
The difference is staggering.
The rear wheels are already filthy, but the fronts that would normaly be even worse are still cleanish.
I just used normal Turtle Wax in the green bottle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts