Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
any tips on the best wax/polish products which I am sure you all use to keep your 155's looking their best? I tend to use Auto Glym products which do a pretty good job of my Silver (bianco argento) example. But is there better out there? and any other funky products you guyz find useful? i love Rain-x - really makes a differnce to keeping the windscreen clean.
let me know
Raj

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Raj,

I use Autoglym myself, and personally i think there is no substitute, the products really are excellent.
I remember reading a review of a few polishing products some time ago, and there was only make to beat it, however they were around twice the price, and not as readily available as Autoglym. Thanks for the tip, i'll give rain-x a try sometime soon, poxy weather, come to think of it, isn't your question a bit out of place at this time of year? (at least in the UK)

Regards,

A.H

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Alex,
thanks for taking the trouble to reply. To be honest, this grotty winter weather is the best time to use rain-x (i think) All the gunk that hits the screen comes of quicker and with less windscreen washer - i hate running out of water!! I also think the screen ices up less severely after a cold night. As 155 heaters are not their strong point, this can be helpful - especially for me as i'm always running late. Rain-x makers also do some anti-misting stuff for the inside of the screen and i might give this a go i think it's like the stuff used on the end of endoscopy equipment during operations. Oh yeah, if you do get some rain-x, slap it on the headlights - the washer jets do a better job of cleaning. oh yeah, rub rain-x all over your body and avoid the need to have a shower. Ho Ho Ho, sorry, Christmas is getting to me!!
Seasons greetings, Raj

by the way Alex - what do you use for the tyres? I use Tire Foam - anything better??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant the polishing question was a bit out of place!
Is Rain-x that stuff that comes in the bright pink bottle?
Hope it helps to clear grit from the windscreen more efficiently, One of the things i hate most about winter is the grit the councils spread on the roads(although i know it does it's job). Particularly on the motorway, coming home yesterday i must have used half my washer bottle clearing my windscreen every two minutes!

For wheels and tyres, i've always used Wonderwheels. The wheel cleaner is second to none. And their trim and tyre dressing kit does exactly what it says in the tin(bottle) - It does your tyre sidewalls and bumpers. But can also be used inside the car on the dashboard etc. Really good value for money as well, they last for ages!
I'd stop short of using the wheel cleaner on your body though, unless you want second degree burns,
Rain-ex though? hmm, does it smell nice? lol

Regards,

A.H

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I too use AutoGlym Super Resin Polish - if you buy it in the large (1litre) bottles, it's pretty cheap. For the wheels I use Halfords own brand wheel cleaner - which IMHO is better (and cheaper) than wonder wheels. For the black plastic - Autoglym bumper & trim cleaner (gets rid of those white polish marks), for the interior, halfords Matt interior trim cleaner (don't like shiny dashboards) and for the tyres, silicon spray. Job's a good'un.

About the time of year thing... isn't winter the best time for your car to be covered in lots of lovely protective polish?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup...

wonderwheeels is the best for IMO... it makes it so much easier to get hard baked cack off the wheels... my own fault fer not cleaning them more often

I just use turtle colour magic polish. at the moment... i used to use Mer, that was amazing stuff... but a bit expensive... hmm we'll see... i might start to use it again.

NOw bathing in Rain-x, mer, turtle colour magic and wonderwheels... perfact for that leper look!

J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Evenin' All !,
thanks for your replies

Alex - sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick about the polishing!, must admit this is not the time of year to enjoy karate kid life (wax on, wax off!), my rain-x bottle is bright yellow, it's lasted me ages so it may be pink now but i don't think so. It does smell good - like pear drops!, you've tempted me with the wonder wheels stuff, will give it a go. cheers mate!

Rich - thanks, but what does 'IMHO' mean?, i totally agree about autoglym black trim polish, the green stuff yes? great as don't get black stuff over the paintwork and the hands, I agree about shiny dashes too - a definite no-no, reserved for knackered taxis only, i've been looking for a decent product and i'll try your tip about the mat stuff, the silicon stuff for tyres? sounds cool, is it expensive, what form does it come in and does it last?, seen a new product that has colour in it (red/silver/blue) to give that extra sparkle, but i'm worried my car will be the automotive equivalent of a gimp so may way stay clear and try your stuff!

Hi Jason- i've heard Mer is wicked stuff, but overheard a chap in halfords complaining that it may have damaged his paint, have you had any problems??

in anticipation of your replies

regards Raj

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've used Mer too, it's good stuff, but IMHO (In My Honest Opinion) it's over-rated. Sure it gives just as good a shine as Autoglym. But i found it to leave streaks, and tends to leave some 'polish dust'. This could have been the cloths i was using at the time though. I've changed to Autoglym rags since, and again they're pretty good.
The good thing about the Wonderwheels Trim and bumper polish is that you can have matt or shiney effect, just polish for shiney, or lightly wipe for matt. I mainly use Autoglym interior shampoo for the inside though, and yes it gives a matt finish!
I aggree, don't go for anything with silicone in it on the inside, it looks shite, and the stuff stays on there for ages!
I've heard about that coloured tyre wall stuff, and from all accounts, it's a bit cack.
But basically try anything from the Autoglym range, and you can't go wrong.
BTW i'm no authority on polishes! I'm just a bit of a perfectionist! (like i'm sure most are with their Alfa's!)
The time of year thing was more to do with the fact of shite weather, get's dark at 4pm! What i'd give for the use of a double garage (or any sort of garage actually) at this time of year!

Regards,

A.H

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alex,
you are being modest when you say you are no authority on polishes, but you drive a 155, so in my book your opinion counts big time! and like yourself i actually enjoy spending the whole day getting my car to look great. Don't you just hate it though when you find a new paint chip? i bet you know every one on your car personally being a perfectionist. Yeah, a double garage would be great, I've just moved house and am fortunate to have a (very narrow) garage, whenever I pull my car in i lower my window and push the loud pedal and listen to that engine sing off the walls!, oh my God, i'm going off on one again.
regards, Raj

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Further to my recommendations above - here's the proof. Photo taken at the National Alfa Day 2001...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
PS, sorry, Raj, I did read your messages, I'm just too lazy / ignorant to reply! Thanks for the nice comments though - I'll catch up with you soon for a chat!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Rich,

that is a very nice shot man!! have you seen the comments about getting the skirts painted the body colour??, it definitely suits some cars but i feel that mine (silver) and possibly yours, look better with the black as contrast. that deep metallic red is very sexy. might have to go out for a drive in mine now just to get another buzz.

regards Raj

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
damn rich!!

iat the first glance i thought you'd taken a picture of my car.... it's exactly the same

Good man.. he's got the right car

J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got my Alfa (Champagne Silver, or whatever the colour's called) a month or so back, bit I'm using the same stuff as has proven good on my last cars.

Autoglym bumper care has been mentioned and that's stuff's the dogs danglies for your black trim - better than backtoblack, and similiar types.

Turtles colour magic is a good polish and as my bruv pointed out Mer is pretty special. My father uses Mer on his 1956 Ford Popular and it seems to be well regarded by a lot of the classic car show guys. I'm still using Autoglym. Lint free cloths are a lot less frustrating.

I confess to using backtoblack cockpit shine for the interior plastics, but haven't found anything that much better to be worth using. Just don't become one of the numpty's that use it on their steering wheel, hand brake handle, door handles, etc. I'm still cleaning the greasy protection film off these and indicator stalks, etc from the last owner's liberal application.

Rain-X: brilliant stuff, if the rains not too heavy you never even need to use those crap juddery wipers. The water just glides off, still allowing good vision. The rain-x application comes in a yellow bottle. You clean the windscreen with a good dirt/fly/film remover, then apply and polish off. You get a water bottle additive (the bigger pink bottle - funky flourescent colour in the dark) for keeping the rain-x layer working longer, before having to apply it again. The demister comes in a black bottle... and is crap.
Tried it on three cars, and if anything it just made the misting worse. Buy a good shammy.

I also agree - use the rain-x on all your windows and headlights. Probably would work well on side mirrors as well.

Gonna borrow Wonderwheels from Jase77 for all that brake dust and road tar film on the 15's. Will be more of a task if I ever get the 17's I want

I don't know if any of you use the 'sexy wet blacker than black' tyre sprays that are around,
but a caution from an experience on my last car.
If you really want to use it, be carefull not to spray too close to the road use corner edge of the tyre - this stuff is damn slippy and is very usefull if you fancy going off the road, rather than round the corner (compare to applying oil to your tyre surface - similiar result).

Good luck with the shiny car, and hope that where ever you are you get more sunshine than I do in Scotland (can't be very hard).

- Honkytonk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts