Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just interested in what steps people have taken to do this. Mine are working fine at the moment but I want to change a few of the bulbs and thought I'd take the opportunity to do some weatherproofing to prevent any future problems with condensation and damp ballasts.

From a few searches the perceived wisdom seems to be:

1. Swear a lot about the need to remove the front bumper to do anything. Great guide on this by Gotcha though: http://kgb.clubalfaromeo.com/gotcha/147 GTA Lights Conversion guide.pdf :thumbs:

2. Remove both headlamp units and put in the airing cupboard with the back off for a few days to drive out any existing moisture. I wasn't planning on putting them in the oven and taking the fronts off.

3. Fill the ballasts with potting compound. I was thinking of using something like this:
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equipment/Twin-pack-potting-compound-30053
Would welcome thoughts and recommendations though. Also is it a better idea to do this to new ballasts instead of ones that have been in the field for years? Just thinking that if there is any corrosion already started on the pcbs would I not just be sealing this in by potting them now?
I've found some new ballasts at: http://www.xenonballasts.com/html/147__xenon_ballast.html
But they're pretty pricey.
Any other thoughts on ballasts and potting gratefully received as I've never done anything like this before. Silvervalver - I've sent you a pm cos I think you may have had a go at this.

4. Before reassembling headlamp units check all vents and drains. From what I understand there are a couple of moisture outlets in the bottom of the units to help condensate drain out. They have plastic 'mazes' in them that I will need to check are clear. I'll also check the state of all seals and screw holes for cracks/ potential leaks.

5. Change whatever bulbs are necessary. I want to put some canbus led sidelights in so I get a whiter light behind the xenon globes and some Phillips X-treme vision +100% bulbs for a bit more illumination from the main beams.

6. Reassemble the units and then go over all joins and seals with an extra layer of sealant on the outside of the unit. Would bathroom sealant be up to the job do you reckon?

Welcome all thoughts and experiences on this from anyone who's attempted or thought about doing something similar.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Hi I got your pm. On my laptop I have started doing a guide. It isn't finished yet and doesn't have pictures so I won't post it up here but pm me an email address and I will send it to you

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi I got your pm. On my laptop I have started doing a guide. It isn't finished yet and doesn't have pictures so I won't post it up here but pm me an email address and I will send it to you
Ta! pm sent.

Love this forum. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
silvervalver, I'm just trying to bumper off and fix my xenons that have had water build up in them, and stopped working. I'd really appreciate the guide if you wouldn't mind sending it?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Damn..

I can get as many photos as you like... my car is in pieces at the moment...

Quite chuffed I managed to dismantle it. Although putting it back could be interesting.

I took the non-working bulb out of the headlight.. it looked pretty bad, so I thought it was probably the culprit. Replaced it with a new bulb, but it didn't fire up. Tried the other new bulb... didn't fire up either. (Tried both, because they both looked a bit dodgy themselves - Is it normal for a brand new bulb to already be a bit crusted up inside?)

I know that the light has had a fair bit of water in it - when it last had sidelight bulb changed, they barely secured the back on. Which makes me think that maybe it's the power pack thing on the bottom that has blown? Are there any tests I can do to work out what the problem is?

Would just like to try and fix them without spending the earth... cheers guys.

Silvervalver... i'll go snap happy on the car tomorrow..

Cheers

** EDIT - found your old thread silvervalver and will try removing the ballast and drying it out tomorrow and see where it gets me

·
Registered
144 Posts
Silvervalver, I am also having problems with my xenons, so it would be really great if I could also get a copy of your guide.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
So... the plot thickens.

I swapped over the ballast units, and that didn't get it working. However the non working one did seem to have some greeny blue crystallisation around the ballast connector to the headlight.

So, im thinking maybe it's fuses? I probably should have checked these much earlier on.. but where are they? I have attached a photo... I took out all the 20a fuses to inspect and couldn't see any breakages.. There would be a clear break in the fuse if it was gone right? Which ones relate to the lights? Also.. is it normal to have a space on the right hand side? There's one fuse slot that hasn't got a fuse in it..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Are there any fuses elsewhere I should be looking? Just wondering if that's all of them... arn't there some uinder the bonnet? Ill look for a handbook online, but hope someone knows the answer

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
So... the plot thickens.

I swapped over the ballast units, and that didn't get it working. However the non working one did seem to have some greeny blue crystallisation around the ballast connector to the headlight.

So, im thinking maybe it's fuses? I probably should have checked these much earlier on.. but where are they? I have attached a photo... I took out all the 20a fuses to inspect and couldn't see any breakages.. There would be a clear break in the fuse if it was gone right? Which ones relate to the lights? Also.. is it normal to have a space on the right hand side? There's one fuse slot that hasn't got a fuse in it..
Have you checked the manual. states which fuses are which.. also there are fuses in the box next to the battery and on the battery itself there is a small box.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
well.. there was a fuse blown (under steering wheel).. so replaced that. I don't have the manual, which was why I was asking.. Even so, there's still a problem. After more testing, it seems ballast has gone. It did have some deposits on the connectors. Tried blasting it with wd40 and leaving to dry.. reconnected, but it hasn't helped..

Where can I get a new ballast tomorrow? Is it worth phoning some breakers, or is it an ebay only jobby? Can autolusso get one to me tomorrow?hmm

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
its deffo the ballast..tested it both sides, and it proved the ballast at fault..but it had also taken out a fuse on it's way down.

All about trying to get one now for little money, as fast as possible. I also now have two new philips bulbs which are surplus (as the bulbs are actually OK) - guess they'll go on ebay or sell on here.

for anyone else's ref, heres the compatability list of ballasts - http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gta/191775-156-gta-xenon-control-unit.html

I'm sure there's quite a few more

1 - 20 of 22 Posts