Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A new 147 owner here (2002, 2.0TS Lusso 5D), so naturally, I have questions:

1) Although the car appears to be in excellent condition, it has a few minor faults. There is a relatively large (size of a £1 coin) stone chip on the windscreen close to the edge. I'd like to repair it before it get too big. Can anyone recommend a good place to get it done here in Cambridge?

2) Rear exhaust box is pretty rusty with layer peeling back already. I know that there are many layers to go before it rusts through, but is there anyway to protect it and slow the process down? Considering cutting off the currently peeling layer and paint the surface under, but not sure how effective that will be.

3) Have anyone tried the "waterless" cleaning system as seen here: Waterless Car Wash Cleaning, Car Care & Valeting Products ? Go Waterless. Don't want to drain dirty water down the storm drain but would like to keep the car clean...

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I wash my cars in the rain. Less use of water from the hose and you don't have to dry it. I do get funny looks form my neighbours though.

G

·
Eco friendly my butt-hole! If you want to be eco-friendly, buy a Smart car or cycle. I work in the water industry and it's a drop in the ocean with all the diesel and general grime washed off our roads. We've got much bigger things to worry about than car shampoo getting into a drain.

Get some biodegradable bubbles to wash your car in, something like Muc-Off if you're that worried. Looks liek a gimmick to me, stick with the tried and tested soapy sponge and bucket o' water technique.

·
Registered
556 Posts
this was on the dragons den with some guys tryin to sell a share in their company and they would come and clean your car without the use of water - dont think they got any money

G

·
this was on the dragons den with some guys tryin to sell a share in their company and they would come and clean your car without the use of water - dont think they got any money
There's some girls who come round in a Twingo at work
and do your car inside & out with no water.

I wouldn't let 'em near my car. :tut:

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
I peeled/knocked/cut-off what was left of the outer layer of my back box and sprayed with heat resistant black paint from Halfrauds. Looked OK for about 4 months until the rust started to bleed through again.

This time I wire-brushed it again and treated with Jenolite in an attempt to curb the rust a bit. Sprayed matt black again using the same paint and it still looks pretty good after about 4 weeks. I'm only really tidying it up until and it will probably get replaced later this year.

Fairly simple job and quite cheap (£5 for the paint + a bit of elbow grease).

In the meantime it no longer shouts at me as I walk across the works carpark at the end of the day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your responses.

Will probably still give the waterless cleaning product a try,but will wash the car the old fashion way once this weekend first.

Regarding peeling the rusted back box and painting it: what do you find as the most efficient way to remove the rusted metal layer. There is no electrical outlet near the driveway otherwise I would consider using a rotary cutoff tool. Where do you get Jenolite (I'm from the states sonot familar with that product).

Cheers!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Reminds me of offers to wash the Corniche on the ferries many moons past, and then rinsed off with Sea Water! No way! Hose, bucket and sponge, then a nice soft chamois, or one of those new fangled micro fibre cloths, that stick to my rough old dry hands like you know what.:D

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
As regards the stone chip, give Autoglass a ring - if it CAN be repaired, they'll do it for free (unless your insurers have shafted you with a policy that doesn't include windscreen cover......)

Back box on my old 147 did the same, all I ever did was pull off the rusty bits and paint with high-temperature black paint as often as I could be bothered :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just had a look at your waterless cleaning and it looks very similar to the one I use which I get from Ideal World. The stuff I use is fantastic, its so easy and it cleans and polishes in one go so saves heaps of time, people have remarked on how shiny my little Alfa looks and you don't have to do it everyweek either as its git magic stuff in it to stop dirt sticking to the car. I'd go for it.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Fail to see how any waterless system, cannot fail to swish around minute particles stuck on the paint finish, which must in turn, abrade the paint ? Hose off first, then Jumbo sponge and bucket, Etc.:):

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used a sort of instant detailing spray back then when my parents car were new. It seems to do a great job removing dust build-up and road spray without seemingly scratching the paint job. I suspect that the waterless cleaning product I'mlooking at is virtually the same thing under different names. I do suspect that it will not do very well if the car wasn't cleaned inthe old fashion way first, but I hope it will helps removing the tree saps on the roof as I'm parking under a big tree regularly.

Still wondering about the best way to remove rusted and semi-rusted metal from the backbox. I have a metal shear at work so I may give that a try...

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
You could make an oval plate I suppose, out of metal, with a hole for the tailpipe, which may extend its life span? You know, decent cardboard pattern made first, then cut out in sheet steel, aluminium, or summat'. Then a bit of epoxy adhesive, couple of self-tappers, pop-rivets, in sound metal:): Similar, if you are talking about the underside of the box, rather than the end plate?

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Still wondering about the best way to remove rusted and semi-rusted metal from the backbox. I have a metal shear at work so I may give that a try...
Mine was so rusted through in places that I could just tap it and it disintergrated. The more resilient bits were cut off. Shears or tin snips would be perfect in order to leave a clean edge - mine's a bit ragged in places.

Jenolite is a rust inhibitor. I'm not sure what an equivalent would be in the US so here is the link to their site so you can find out more. Depending on the paint you use, it might not even be necessary. Linky

G

·
but I hope it will helps removing the tree saps on the roof as I'm parking under a big tree regularly.
Claying it will get rid of tree sap.

The Meguiars Quik Clay kit is exactly what you need for that.
(It has both the clay and detail spray included.)

;)

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Claying it will get rid of tree sap.

The Meguiars Quik Clay kit is exactly what you need for that.
(It has both the clay and detail spray included.)

;)
I'll second that.

Claying can also be extremely satisfying. Very calming and theraputic. :)

G

·
Now I wasn't that fussed with claying. It did alright but it was a lot of effort to get the car ever so slightly shinier when you're up close.

It got a lot of grub off the paint but a week or 2 on and I bet it's all back on there again.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Now I wasn't that fussed with claying. It did alright but it was a lot of effort to get the car ever so slightly shinier when you're up close.

It got a lot of grub off the paint but a week or 2 on and I bet it's all back on there again.
It only gets dirty again !!!!

G

·
It's just having the time to spend on it that's the trouble. With 2 days off a week I don't want to spend one of those days washing the cars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts