Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Waterleak

Tags
waterleak
1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Alfie GTV 
#1 ·
On Friday i decided to give the Alfa a good scrub and polish,so i parked outside the house with the drivers wheels on the pavement.
But when i came to hoover inside i removed the mats to find the passenger footwell WET!!:( . The floor mat was dry and the carpet was dry around the sides and at the back of the bulkhead and no water was sprayed from underneath.It was fresh water but not smell of car shampoo so must have come in while hoseing off, but where from:confused: Has anybody else had this problem???

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 ·
Could it have come through where the pollen filter would go if fitted? This is under the plastic at the base of the windscreen, passenger side. If the driver's side of the car was elevated the water would tend to run that way. I've read of an extra shield being fitted over the air intake previously mentioned, obviously not to block it off, but so that the water is shed away from it.

#4 ·
nosbork said:
I thought the pollen filter hole was on the driver's side.
You could be right as the only time I looked to change/inspect the pollen filter, which wasn't there, was 4 years ago. Perhaps my flirtation with senility has stepped up a notch! I could've sworn it was on the passenger side (UK).

#5 ·
Just checked the car again. Haven't washed it this time and it has been parked on the drive nice and level... it has been raining and once again the floor is wet:rant: It's on the passenger side ,left hand side of the footwell just in front of the fuel cut off switch. Any Clue as to where it may be coming from?????

#6 ·
Hi have alook at the small rubber inserts under the your front screen trim if they leak they fill the box section up and this works it,s way into the passenger footwell area, they come out quite easy just seal them and refit. Had this problem on a custormer,s GTV a while back, also make sure that the trim covering the heater/pollen fiter hole is sealed along it,s whole length as this can fill the heater box up aswell!

G
#7 ·
Can also be caused by the aircon drain hose being too short and any condensation from the aircon system works its way into the footwell, although if yours happens when raining it's probably not this. Useful to know though, try not using the aircon for a while and see if it still leaks. That's how I found out mine's leaking :mad:

#9 ·
Right have taken off the passenger side trim at base of windscreen and there is a plastic cover over the pollen filter intake.This has some strips of sticky rubber stuff along the top edge i guess to seal it to the front lip of the bulkhead. Looks like it wasen't sealed very well so have squidged it about a bit to seal all along top edge.Everything was very clean though, under the dash is like new!!! E-Coat everywhere so no rust and the bar that the dash sits on that runs from left to right of the car is even painted, this is not the case on most cars that i have seen infact this is a first. Having said all that i think if you use a hosepipe on a GTV be carefull not to aim the water across the base of the windscreen from the driver's side as it is still easy to direct water straight into the pollen filter!! Thanks for your help as it has rained since i have done this and all is well:) :)

#10 ·
So was it where I said it would be? On the passenger side? If so I'm just old and not senile! Also was a pollen filter there? When I checked mine (had from new) there wasn't one and I've not seen them listed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.