Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I've noticed a fair amount of water splattering out of my exhaust pipe this morning.
There doesn't seem to be any oil in the water res, but if there was, what exactly would it look like?
Is it a massively expensive job to do the head gaskets on a 85 GTV6, if that is the cause?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
429 Posts
water is one of the by products from the operation of the catalytic convertor. this link explains the chemical process which the exhaust gases undergo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

water is produced by non catalyst cars too, but tends to be a smaller amount. it may be more noticeable until the engine has reached it's full operating temperature.

normally if there was oil in the water you would see the little rainbow film on the surface, kinda like on a puddle in a petrol station.

water in the oil usually produces a yellowy white sludge, most often seen clinging to the inside of the filler cap.

i'd imagine your drippy exhaust is perfectly normal if the car isn't using any water or oil, best suggestion is to monitor the levels closely, and, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

if you are still worried, most garages will have a tester which tests for combustion gases in the water. no idea how much they'll charge ? we used to take around a half hour's labour to do the check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts