Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got any instructions / guide / pics for replacing the water pump on a 3L V6? My 166 has started to get hot and head towards over heating the last couple of times I've driven it. Obviously it's been grounded for now. I can't even see the water pump when looking from the top of the engine down over, would it be easier to remove the drivers side front wheel and get access that way?

If not, from what I can see, I need to remove the power steering resovoir and timing belt cover. Will I then be able to see the pump?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you absolutely know that the cambelt is ok, it is possible to change the water pump without doing the cambelt. I had the water pump done on my 156 V6 for £180 because I knew the belt had been changed 2 yrs ago.

Doing this saves time and therefore money but you need to be absolutely certain about the cambelt...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good Chris, the cambelt was done 5000 miles ago at an Alfa garage for its last service. Any idea how easy / difficult it is to do the pump on its own?

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
, the cambelt was done 5000 miles ago at an Alfa garage for its last service.
Chumps!

they could have done it for the price of the part and another 30 mins labour, its a well known issue. As an Alfa garage they should have known, and cosequently asked you if you wanted it done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't comment on the last garage as I didn't own it then. It would be unfair to give an opinion when the last owner may have advised them not to do it. However you'd think that changing the pump might be made part of the service when all the garages know about it :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,166 Posts
Does it over heat if left at tick over or when driving fast ie motorway speed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does it over heat if left at tick over or when driving fast ie motorway speed?
doesn't seem to overheat if left at tickover, it does start to get hot when driving though. The first time it happened, I didn't notice it until the warning light came on. I slowed down and the temperature dropped to 90, keeping the car at about 55 to 60 seemed to prevent it from moving above 90 on the gauge. The next time was a local trip, from work to home. this time keeping it between 55 and 60 didn't work, I pulled over and waited with the engine running, (had to do this a couple of times on the way home). No warning light and no actual overheating. thats when I started looking into what it could be and as the radiator looks ok from what I can see and there doesn't seem to be anything else that could cause it, I guessed it must be the water pump. Oh, the air con and demisters don't work but I don't think that would cause anything like this as they aren't really part of the water circulation system as far as I know

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sounds good Chris, the cambelt was done 5000 miles ago at an Alfa garage for its last service. Any idea how easy / difficult it is to do the pump on its own?
I paid £40 labour for three hours labour plus £60 for the water pump IIRC. In fact it turned out to be a stupid tax - the temp gauge on the dash was reading high and I'd already had the radiator, thermostat and temp sensor replaced. Ended up removing the dial from the centre console and it had been repaired previously. Installed a different gauge and all was fine.

The guy that did the pump was Graham Frost at GK Motors in Selby but his website is down at the mo so not sure if he's still doing Alfas or has gone all mainstream, which was on the cards last year. Happy to PM you his number if you want.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOTTT DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!! you will fu** the head gasket!

New belt is about £30 from alfa shop and may as well put a new one on.

This cant be done without moving the cam-belt.

To test water pump I just reved my engine 5k for about a minute and saw the temp go up...........dont drive the car!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts