Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there stuff you can add to the coolant that will lubricate or help a whining water pump ?????

The car only starts to whine once above 70ºC so I think it's coolant/water pump etc related.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There certainly use to be. I remember my dad using it in a Mk1 cortina.
It was a long time ago though :eek:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:p Halfords sell the stuff you're after......
It's called water system conditioner or something similar,supposedly lubricates the pump etc...Barrs do a similar product too,you'll find it near the radiator sealer and stuff like that.
:rolleyes: Does it work?......Lets hope so,pennies are precious ;)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flo is right, I bought some to sort a squeaky noise on the V6 water pump...at least thats what I thought it was...turned out to be the idler :rolleyes: Only just made it to the garage :O

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm...I'm worried about the whining. I got some stuff last night from Halfords and it hasn't cured it. I noticed the power steering fluid level is too low so gonna top that up tonight.

I'm confused as to why the noise only appears once the engine has reached about 70ºC though. It goes up and down with engine speed, so is definately one of the pumps or belts. The belts all look like new though.

This idler doodah....what is it...where is it....can I do it myself...is it expensive etc etc

cheers

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Idler is one of the pulleys that the cambelt runs against.
You should change it when you do the cambelt... however not everyone does/recommends it to be done. When the beraing are chuffed on the idle it causes squeeling and whining
Mine made a hell of a noise before i changed my belts/tensioner/idler, I've got the one in the garage and you can see the bearing on the idler are shot and why it's be making a noise.

I'll try and remember to pull it out for you to take a look at tonight (no nasty comments please :D)

J

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you'll also notice that you power steering whines a bit.. this will be because the fluid is a bit low too

J

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Check the belt tension, sounds a bit tight to me. When mine as changed it needed a little loosening, compared to the marks on the pullies, to stop a whining noise. Now I can hear all the other rattles perfectly!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I'll have a look at the bely tension............if I can manage to get the cover off. There isn't any room for me 10mm spanner to get the nut in the middle of the cover waaaaay down the side of the engine :(

·
Registered
564 Posts
Marlon before you take the cambelt cover off, you'll notice that the auxilary drive belt has a tensioner, remove the auxilary belt and start the engine to see if it whines. I had to replace the auxilary drive belt tensioner on my 16 valve as it was noisey and I think someone on here had the same thing with a V6 :D :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheers, it definateky sounds like it's coming from under the cover though :(

I can see 2 belts outside the cover, one for oil pump, the other I think is for the alternator as it goes towards the back of the engine.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Selective use of WD40 may route out the noise...?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't see it being the timing belt on too tight if its making the noise at higher temps only. More likey to do it when cold as the rubber won't have stretched....just a thought.

wrinx

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Me thinks it's the aux belt(s) or waterpump. If the cambelt is to tight it'll make a wroaeaereiiipp sound when blipping the throttle. Sorry (I'm a fool when it comes to sound scripts (as found in dictionaries))

-- Hoygs

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Oil pump??? don`t yer mean Power steering pump :rolleyes:

Try taking the aux belts off when its warm and see if its still there ;)

Btw told yer there was`nt much room :rolleyes:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
daiblack said:
Marlon before you take the cambelt cover off, you'll notice that the auxilary drive belt has a tensioner, remove the auxilary belt and start the engine to see if it whines. I had to replace the auxilary drive belt tensioner on my 16 valve as it was noisey and I think someone on here had the same thing with a V6 :D :D
Marlon/Daiblack, Had 2 replace aux belt tensioner on me 16v when cambelt was replaced .with belt off if U can spin tensioner fast by hand ,will hear if bearings shot. Me thinx low level of steering fluid could be culprit, have had similar b4...........also cheepest ;)
...........narlo..........

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took the cover off tonight. the sound is definately from the timing belt assembly. I sprayed everywhere with WD40 but the noise didn't go away. I think the belt is rubbing on something at the bottom of all the gubbins as eventually a dry line appeared after I'd sprayed WD40 everywhere. I'll have to get the wheel off and remove the side cover in the wheel arch to have a closer look. The timing belt isn't damaged and they all look new. Maybe something is seized with the car sitting for so long and when hot stuff is expanding and rubbing :confused:

Speedy I said oil pump 'cos that's the position of the oil pump on the 8v...thought it'd be the same...but then again, the filter is at the back :rolleyes:

BTW topped up the steering fluid as it was low, but that wasn't the cause.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
It`s possible that the cambelt is adjusted too tight :rolleyes: or maybe they didnt change the tensioner when they did it :confused:

Be warned when you get the cover off the tensioner bolts are little sod`s to get at let alone see the pointer to check the tension

Btw it might be the water pump bearing making the noise ................check for play on the bearing when you get the cover off ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well a strange thing happened this morning.

After going daft with WD40 last night and putting the cambelt cover on, the noise was still there.

This morning I arrived at work after giving the car (and a Saxo VTS :lol: ) a beasting, the noise had gone :confused:

Maybe the WD40 and hard driving has loosened/lubed something ???

I'll keep an ear out to see if it comes back. I'm now more paranoid because I don't know what caused the noise and now it's quiet.....a bit like the calm before the storm :eek: .........

1 - 20 of 33 Posts