Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the timing belt and water pump on my 156 jtd 8v. the water pump sits behind the camshaft pulley...how do i hold the camshaft pulley to remove the centre bolt? what is its torque wrench setting when i refit it?
also is there a special tool for taking off the tension from the cam belt tensioner...what else could be used as i haven't this.

many thanks, krispy

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I want to change the timing belt and water pump on my 156 jtd 8v. the water pump sits behind the camshaft pulley...how do i hold the camshaft pulley to remove the centre bolt? what is its torque wrench setting when i refit it?
also is there a special tool for taking off the tension from the cam belt tensioner...what else could be used as i haven't this.

many thanks, krispy
dont need to remove cam belt pulley as far as im aware

you need new tensioner and idler and you dont need a spacial tool to do it neither

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cant remove the water pump as the crank pulley is in the way, so cam locks needed. Does anybody have a set I can borrow in the Kent area.

Cheer

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Have you looked the guide/how-to on AlfaWorkshop's web site??

L

·
0 Posts
there are TOOLS available to lock the TWO cams in position....... therefore you can remove the pulley

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

8V and 16V have different pump and belt arrangements.

I could not remove my 8V water pump without removing the pulley. My 16V car did not require the pulley removing to change the pump.
On the 8V car I made up a cranked rod with two pins through it to hold the pulley while I removed / replaced the locating bolt. This worked in a similar way to the tool shown in the electronic elearn procedure. I guess you could lock the cam and fuel pump pulleys together to hold the cam pulley. They are not that close together though.

To my knowledge JTD's all have a single driven pulley for the cam(s). The 16V twin camshafts are timed by means of gears at the flywheel side of the engine.

I would want to use a torque wrench to secure the timing pulley. You don't want that coming loose!

That's my experience anyway. Hope that helps.

Old Bo

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
You are quite right, the cam pulley does need to come off to get at the water pump bolts on the 8 valve engine.
When I did mine I loosened the cam pulley bolt with the old belt fitted, changed the pump and then refitted the old belt to hold it whilst I torqued the cam pulley bolt so I didnt damage the new belt and then fitted the new belt.
The tightening torque listed in Auto data for the cam pulley bolt is 102-126Nm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts