Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any known issues with water pumps on the 1.4MA engines? Think i have a noisy bearing on my brand new G...

Has 1700kms on it now, but noisy since I collected the car new a few weeks ago. Always noisy cold, sometimes quiet when hot.

Sigh. Not a great start, just had the left driveshaft replaced due to a torn boot.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But why did a torn boot require replacing the drive shaft? How much damage could be done in 1700km from dirt getting in through the tear?
Just the way the dealer handled it as a warranty. Probably cheaper to just swap out the whole shaft than spend the labour costs to fit a new boot.

Besides, I was advised to keep using the car in rain and dusty roads while they ordered the shaft in - on a brand new car I wanted a brand new joint fitted anyway!

The tear was a factory handling error I think.

Had to take the wheel off, put loctite on the ball joint nut (one time use self locking nut not replaced) and clean all the grease off the suspension and wheel... If we go into lock down in Australia next week, might do the water pump myself!

·
Registered
589 Posts
It has 1,700 km or 17,000 km?

The water pumps on the 1.4MA are usually quite reliable.

But if they just replaced the Drive Shaft under warranty wouldn't the water pump still be under warranty too, as the whole car would be?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has 1,700 km or 17,000 km?

The water pumps on the 1.4MA are usually quite reliable.

But if they just replaced the Drive Shaft under warranty wouldn't the water pump still be under warranty too, as the whole car would be?
1,700. Two zeros :)

Yeah it’s under warranty of course. I just get super edgy when contemplating letting the dealers work on it... Every. Single. Fucking. Time there is something I have to rectify with their work...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just check that the noise is not coming from one of the accessory belt pulleys/tensioner/alternator ect first.

Just remove the accessory belt, start car and see if the noise is still there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just check that the noise is not coming from one of the accessory belt pulleys/tensioner/alternator ect first.

Just remove the accessory belt, start car and see if the noise is still there.
I’ve done the long screwdriver on the ear trick, wasn’t the idler puller or alternator. And the water pump sounded worse.

But because Murphy is a *******, I ran it up to the dealer to let their mechanic have a listen and it was bloody quiet! And two days later still is... Sigh. I’ll keep an ear on things, and I’ve ordered on eBay a mechanic stethoscope.

No biggie, if it fails while we are still in lockdown I can change it myself easily enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts