Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would water methanol injection make a substantial difference in a naturally aspirated GTA engine or not. I see it being used by all my drag racing friends and they reckon they can boost more with their turbocharged cars because of a cooler/denser intake charge. They also tell me that with water methanol injection timing can be advanced to be more aggresive, as opposed to increasing boost.

Would this therefore make a difference by cooling the air coming into the intake and making it denser, thus allowing the car to get more in.. theoretically... than it can without the water methanol injection... Since GTA's are N/A can't go tightening wastegates and dumpvalves but can definitely advance the timing, and throw in more aggro cams and taller deck pistons..

what do you guys think??

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have used water / methanol injection in a couple of cars now (both turbo's) and dont think the gains for a N/A car would be worth it.

You are looking at about £600 to get a good system and then you have the ECU and mapping on top of that. I dont think N/A cars run hot enough inlet temps for the water injection to make a noticeable difference.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Would water methanol injection make a substantial difference in a naturally aspirated GTA engine or not. I see it being used by all my drag racing friends and they reckon they can boost more with their turbocharged cars because of a cooler/denser intake charge. They also tell me that with water methanol injection timing can be advanced to be more aggresive, as opposed to increasing boost.

Would this therefore make a difference by cooling the air coming into the intake and making it denser, thus allowing the car to get more in.. theoretically... than it can without the water methanol injection... Since GTA's are N/A can't go tightening wastegates and dumpvalves but can definitely advance the timing, and throw in more aggro cams and taller deck pistons..

what do you guys think??
No benefits for a normaly aspirated engine, only usefull for turbo's...
have a look here:
aquamist
aquamist faqs
(look under faqs)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have a friend with this sort of water mist system on his Mitsu Evo, I think its really only useful for big turbo engines as others noted above, 370BHP from a 2.0L for example...

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is useful for extra cooling as well, instead of fitting a big intercooler and making the spool a bit laggy, or if you are in a hot country. I helped a guy in Dubai fit one to his Fiat Coupe with excellent results.

When I had mine fitted even on a hot summer day the boost was like a winters morning.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Get an N02 kit mate :) Make a lot more difference to the GTA, water methanol will do nothing for her at all...

The std GTA map is not bad at all, it runs very rich but as soon as you try and lean her out she starts detting, so you retard the ignition to stop it and just end up where you were in the first place. I tried advancing ignition using the std fuel table but you start loosing power almost immediately.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Get an N02 kit mate :) Make a lot more difference to the GTA, water methanol will do nothing for her at all...

The std GTA map is not bad at all, it runs very rich but as soon as you try and lean her out she starts detting, so you retard the ignition to stop it and just end up where you were in the first place. I tried advancing ignition using the std fuel table but you start loosing power almost immediately.

Thanks Phil D for your input. Seems it would be a waste of time in the GTA, however Dubai gets sooooo hot in Summer (46 - 52degrees centigrade):wow: and i wonder how she will behave in summer. I guess only time will tell. I thought this would help especially during summer to cool the intake air, and keep the car making same power as on a cold day... theoretically speaking!!??

·
Registered
271 Posts
from my turbo petrol owning days, I remember another downside is it increases the compression ratio. it is afterall higher water content air mixture. too high-compression = no engine.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
I was (probably incorrectly) under the impression that people added methanol to water charging systems to reduce the chance of pre ignition, but with FSI engines surely there is virtually no chance of pre ignition due to when the fuel is injected in the cycle - like a diesel? Or is it to further cool the charge or sommat else?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm exploring this for track days, or for extended high RPM runs, when temps get hot.

Also, there's possibility of running lower octane fuel, and/or running slightly more advanced timing.

not so much worrying about existing pre det.

Its hot and humid here in Singapore.... near the tropics...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts