Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the suppliers I’ve never chatted to about getting a more competitive rate, is the water company. While the monthly billis neither here nor there, there was no harm in seeing if they could offer a better deal.

They could... on the proviso I had a water meter installed. While the ‘you could see your bill reduced to £x’ spiel sounded good, experience tells me that ‘could’ tends to work in the other direction, too.

Have any of you gone down the water meter route? If so what were your experiences? Was it worth it?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
We went to a water meter and saved lots over rates. We are small users of water though. Water butts for garden, no bath, rarely wash car, only shower kids when they've gone a funny colour etc.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Harvo. The lady I spoke to said best case scenario was a saving of circa £100 per annum... which is barely worth entertaining if the ‘could’ turns into ‘won’t’.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
We changed over some years ago and made significant savings. However the house is nominally 4 bedrooms (4th is small and used as a study) so the rateable value was quite high = high unmetered bills. Since the family left home (the youngest is 45 this year) the actual water consumption must have reduced. If it is any help the current usage for the two of us is about 23 cum per quarter

·
Administrator
45,302 Posts
We moved to a bigger house with a meter and our water costs have somewhere around halved.

As long as you haven't got a swimming pool or something, I doubt you'll cost yourself.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Rightly or wrongly, I've avoided a water meter on the basis that we have four adults in the house, including some who regard a shower as a place to live in, others who like the washing machine sloshing permanently, and I who drinks several gallons of coffee per day, even though I don't wash.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting stuff, gents, thank you. So it seems overall it’s a not a bad route to go down. I have no immediate plans to install a swimming pool. Well, not another one, anyway.

😁

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
I think if you live on your own, you will make significant savings. In a house with 4 adults, meaning 4+ showers and baths per day, it would bankrupt me.

Most of my neighbours are ancient and are well rid of their kids. Lots of them have elected to have a meter fitted.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
As I said above the rateable value, on which the non-metered supplied cost is based, has an effect on the relative costs. With a three bed semi the unmetered charge is going to be significantly less than for a four bed detached. I noticed the difference when we moved from the former to the latter, when the children were still at home (34 years ago). Clearly the only thing to be done is compare the costs for unmetered with metered but clearly four adults will use significantly more water than two. Also washing three or four cars regularly will significantly increase the consumption. A running hosepipe really does get through some quantity of water.

Remember when comparing costs that, even with a meter, there is still an unmetered charge for surface water drainage if any part of the roof/drive drainage discharges to the surface water sewer. This charge is only not leveed if it can be proved that all surface water from the property drains to soakaways.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
We won't have a choice around here soon...going to be mandatory....was going to be by end of 2019...but was delayed. But those that have them through choice around here, even families, say they pay less than me. They have already fitted the...erm...fittings in the ground to take them and left them blanked..just need to screw them in when the time comes.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
WE just got our water bill, there is only 2 of us and according to our usage we are the same as one person living on their own!

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
Where do you live scudetto I thought water supply was a monopoly by area, no one to switch to for most

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Good point....around here we get two bills.....Portsmouth water for the fresh water...Southern water for the waste water and drainage. Never had a choice of supplier.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Similarly in Scunthorpe. Anglian for potable water, Severn Trent for waste water and drainage. However because the waste water charge is related to the metered supply both are paid to Anglian who read the meter and the surface water charge (non-metered) direct to Severn Trent.
However the customer does have a choice; whether to go metered or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts