Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to drag this up again but as it's been a few months I thought I'd ask.:rolleyes:.The 1.9 JTD mjet has been loosing water now for a good year or so now. Changed lots of parts. knackered rad waterpump, some pipes etc and checked all the rest. Car doesn't pressurise or boil over and no damp footwell. If left standing for a day or two when you start it starts on 3 cylinders and quickly moves to 4 after half a second and there is a fair amount of white smoke from the exhaust until it starts to warm up although this it's only really done this since the straight through exhasut was fitted so could be condesation in it. Can't say it produces as much as when a HG has gone before on my cars. No oil in water or other way round etc. Doesn't fail the pressure test either. It just uses water. If started daily then no starting issue evident.

All I can think is HG or cracked head although it should fail the test if it had:confused: Done 171,000 miles so I'll top her up till next service when I'll do the cambelt and while I'm changing it I'll lift the head. Any other thoughts:)

L

·
0 Posts
why are you putting WATER into the COOLANT system?

put in a green coloured coolant, it should help identify where its leaking. If no leaks are found around the engine bay then its either matrix or head gasket related.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know what I mean. :) Just Changed the coolant from Blue to the later spec Red a month or two ago when the rad was done as it was due a change. I'm not just topping up with water :rolleyes: I've looked all up the back of the dash. It's dry as bone. There is no staining anywhere....blue or red. Surely HG would pressurise the system? How close does the water jacket run up behind the valve seats. I did think a crack not in the combuxtion chamber perhaps

L

·
0 Posts
i've benn told & read that the red coolant is more aggressive on water pumps than green/blue coolant. have you checked to see if the water [ coolant ] pump is weeping? perhaps it only does it when hot.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah I was told to change to red as it was less agressive :lol: Yep checked the pump and it's not weaping which I know is a common problem due to the metal gasket. I smeared a small amount of sealer when I last did it to make sure it wouldn't. Got it from Alfa. It's due a belt in 13k anyway. Makes no difference if I do a lot of cold starts or one long run. Loss seems to be uniform.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'd bet on HG as well. You can send a small sample of oil to one of the analysis firms and they'll confirm. I had a similar slow drop of coolant in my Volvo. No other symptoms but the oil test confirmed. The HG was corroded between two cylinders so must have had weak antifreeze at some point.

Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts