Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My name is Farryl, I have a '97 916 phase 1 Alfa Spider 2Ltr Twinspark. 126 000 miles and still going great!
I began noticing the coolant level going down more and more, and with the accompanying vapour from the exhaust, my first reaction is a blown head gasket.
Fortunately the motor has never overheated as I dont use the car daily. On furher investigation i noticed no "mayo" in the oil and looks normal, the running of the motor is normal and temp etc is normal too.
I have checked the cooling system for leaks.. nothing. So I decided to remove the plugs and do a compression test.. all cylinders show between 5.5 and 6.5 so I dont think its that.
Im hoping someone out there may have some ideas on this before I remove the head and have the head, gaskets, valves etc done.
Also, is there a plugpoint on the phase1 for an OBD2 test? I believe on the GTV there is only a 3 pin connection.

Look forward to hearing
Regards

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Check passenger side carpet for moisture. Common to leak from the heater valve above there. Yes you need a KL cable and 3 pin adapter but don't buy a cheap one. You will also need a paid for copy of MES to connect to phase 1 ECU's.

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
I know you said you have checked the cooling system for leaks, but it it must be leaking from somewhere otherwise it wouldn't be dissapearing.

The first place I would look is the radiator. If it has a copper type they rarely last more than about 6 years before falling apart due to road salt.

It is possible the coolant is leaking and evaporating without leaving a trace, although often you do get white staining.

Have a look at the back of the radiator at the bottom, especially behind the cooling fan.

Another area for a hidden leak could also be the seal on the water pump. Again it usually evaporates as it leaks so you don't actually see any wet coolant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts