Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I originally started asking about this under a different title which is now inaccurate

Here's the full scenario now that i've had a look.

There is water dripping freely and exiting from the centre of the engine area, drips coming off from the bottom of engine and from edge of sump guard.

No drips/water from timing belt/water pump area, I took the plastic engine cover off and had a thorough look, no puddle on drivers side either.

No leaks from radiator. No drips/leak from visible water hoses when looking at top of engine, nothing visible when looking down sides and at back of engine (using torch).

Drips start as soon as engine is fired up.
I'm sure it was fine a week ago, only noticed it this week when parking at work. Fluid level was low in the plastic container, have topped it right up and will check tomorrow after driving to work. The only work done on it was 6 days ago when I had a new lower turbo hose put on.
Are there any plugs or water hoses under the bottom of the engine that could be loose or split?

As always any input is appreciated greatly!

Stu:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nothing below 4c in fact quite mild, are you thinking condensation? don't think its that tbh, had heater on but not aircon, but what are you thinking?

appreciate any help!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
No I was wondering if it had frozen and popped out a core plug or even cracked the block. I'm not in the UK at the moment (its 30 degrees here!!) so I wasn't sure how cold it been recently. Sounds like its not going to be that though.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Stu, I guess you've checked all the hoses? There is a small by-pass hose on the thermostat that can leak; mine did because the clip bit into the rubber.

The aircon can pump out quite a bit of water; I've been alarmed in the past when seeing a water trail when parking if you haven't been using the aircon some may have collected. As the leak starts with the engine it isn't the rad or anything past the thermostat.

Does turning the heater off make any difference; have you checked inside the car for dampness; have you been suffering windscreen condensation?

Rob

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Rob,
Thermostat would be visible from top ? If yes then couldn't see any drips anywhere on top. Have run with and without heater..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oil/water heat exchange hoses leaking? The filter screws on to the heat exchanger. Two pipes/hoses run in front of the block. Worth a look.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now, all I did yesterday was top up the water. It was dripping freely ..

Today: nothing, no drips nowt.

Ran with heaters and aircon on, still no drips. Left it running for 15mins, still dry.

I'm stumped. Has it fixed itself?(which we all know can't happen)

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Climate control is different to air con, it removes moisture and that = condensation and it has to go somewhere. That's one reason why you should leave it on, or so they say.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, your saying leave climate control on low setting all the time, ok that does make sense? And that dripping was the result of climate control not being on and not removing the moisture which has built up over the week or more?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts