Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has (or does....?) anyone else have this problem where there seems to be a load of water sloshing around inside the boot door??

at first we thought it was a little drop of water, but at the weekend, we opened the boot and 2 streams of water poured out of the trim, one on each side, and the boot seems to have a lot of water inside now

when driving around corners, if you're sat in the back, you can hear some water sloshing from side to side... is it my car that is cursed, or has anyone else got the same problem?

if it helps, we had a constant knocking from the rear boot door when we first got it, and eventually the dealership sorted it by "soundproofing" the boot door - we're wondering whether as part of that work, they've caused this problem from repeatedly removing and resealing the boot trim

·
Registered
485 Posts
There should be 3 small black bungs in the bottom of the boot door. (Obviously when you open the boot they are at the top as you look at the door). Early models they were solid but later they were changed to ones with drain holes in.
I had a problem and still do with water collecting in the plastic moulding around the boot latch despite 2 attempts to fix it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There should be 3 small black bungs in the bottom of the boot door. (Obviously when you open the boot they are at the top as you look at the door). Early models they were solid but later they were changed to ones with drain holes in.
I had a problem and still do with water collecting in the plastic moulding around the boot latch despite 2 attempts to fix it.
Had the same problem - wiper grommet!
The grommet just needs resealing - its no good just replacing the grommet without sealer.
The factor seemed to be short of sealant on occasions.
Re water sloshing around - removed the drain plugs see if that solves the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Removing the grommets is ok if you park on level ground. My car is parked where the ground slopes sideways, so the water collects in one corner. Oddly in all the rain we've had, no leaks but wash the car with a hose pipe and it's coming in - from what looks like around the seal!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Had the same problem - wiper grommet!
The grommet just needs resealing - its no good just replacing the grommet without sealer.
The factor seemed to be short of sealant on occasions.
Re water sloshing around - removed the drain plugs see if that solves the problem.
Can the grommet be replaced without removing the wiper motor? I think I have the same problem, but those rivets are mahoosive!

·
Registered
33,228 Posts
My last Giulietta (2017) didn’t have this problem but my first did.

·
Registered
37,362 Posts
Ours has this issue. Removing the small black bungs seem to allow it to drain out until it can be fixed correctly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can the grommet be replaced without removing the wiper motor? I think I have the same problem, but those rivets are mahoosive!
It can, I done it recently myself, I brought the revised seal. I took the wiper arm off, and used needle nosed pliers to pull off the original seal off. The new seal was hard to get on, I had to trim part of it to get it in, one thing which would of helped is putting it in hot water to make it more flexible and easier to push it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Do you have a part number for that grommet as I have the same issue with water collecting in the plastic moulding by the latch. Or do I just remove and re-seal the old grommet?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you have a part number for that grommet as I have the same issue with water collecting in the plastic moulding by the latch. Or do I just remove and re-seal the old grommet?
The part number for the revised part is 50530945

I ordered from this one from Desira parts.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Blimey, not much difference! You’re right, they do seem to have to redesign bits - the EGR cooler cover in the diesels being a case in point.

I was just going to reseal the grommet bit I think I’ll just replace it. It might stop the water getting to the rear wiper motor and causing erratic behaviour.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Blimey, not much difference! You’re right, they do seem to have to redesign bits - the EGR cooler cover in the diesels being a case in point.

I was just going to reseal the grommet bit I think I’ll just replace it. It might stop the water getting to the rear wiper motor and causing erratic behaviour.
Haha yeah I was surprised how much bigger externally it is.

Isn't the erratic behaviour from the wiring loom being damaged? Mine is erratic too but no other faults (yet).

·
Registered
722 Posts
I’ve checked my loom and found only a small break in the insulation- the wire itself was intact so I just patched it up for now.
I think the failed grommet lets water and other crap into the motor via the spindle, which disrupts the park position. In my case the wiper is erratic first thing on a wet morning but sorts itself out after a couple of uses, so I don’t think the wiring is at fault. I think it’s crud getting into the motor’s track so it doesn’t park correctly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ahh ok then, I should probably clean mine as it doesn't park properly, it does after about 2 mins of driving which seems odd.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I just pulled the boot door trim off, sprayed contact cleaner into the motor and put it back together. Its not completely cured but is much better than it was. Replacing the grommet (when I can find the one I bought) should help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts