Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not supposed to be there right?

Am I right in thinking its most likely the rubber seal around the rear hatch that's letting the water in?

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Usually yes. Also the rear light seal can go on cars, check that out too.

In such a cavernous boot, you could probably drop the seats, remove the carpet, dry the area and have someone drench the car with a hose pipe; sit on the folded seats and observe.

Another explanation is that VAG-Skoda have tried to hide some more emissions in there where no one usually looks by deposition of gas.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Had this in our old Vectra, roof rail rivets had come loose and water was going down the rear pillar into the boot.

Found this out on the forums, confirmed by removing all carpets and lining, at which point we saw the rust patterns on the metal panels.

What do the Skoda forums say?

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Had this in our old Vectra, roof rail rivets had come loose and water was going down the rear pillar into the boot.

Found this out on the forums, confirmed by removing all carpets and lining, at which point we saw the rust patterns on the metal panels.

Generally, they are all saying that they love the new Giulia:

Octavia rival? Can anything compete with this, the Alfa Romeo Giulia - General Car Chat - BRISKODA.net

There are less h8rs there than there are here. Perhaps we should invite some over to fight the h8. ;)

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Reactions: TheGrimJeeper

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Glad you asked, it's not my Skoda I'm asking for. I've checked all the rubber seals on the Toyota's rear hatch and rear doors, all seems good. Going to check the seals around the rear lights today, the only other thing I can think of is condensation build up? The car does get a lot of condensation in this weather.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Toyota!?

Since when did you get a job as a mini cab driver?
The big Skoda didn't tip you off!! :paranoid:

As I mentioned, removing all, or at least looking behind all the carpets and lining may show a rust trail.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tecuW9cB-Xk
As soon as I get some time I shall have a look.

Is it a one-off or keep happening? I once found water in the boot after I parked on a steep hill (in the rain).
First time I've seen it but that's not a surprise as I rarely use the car. I was checking tyre pressures, oil, coolant, windscreen wash etc when I found the water. Never had a problem before. I dried it all up with old newspapers and a clean rag but I think it has got underneath some sound proofing material and is doing its evil work as we speak.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've tried everything now, folded the rear seats up and looked under the insulation for a rust trail but only fresh, clean, painted metal to be seen. Tried a hose on it while I sat inside looking for water, nothing ! In the end I decided to create drainage, there are two rubber grommets at the base of the wheel well which now have holes in. If the water returns it will leave by this route. :thumbup: If this fails I will start keeping Goldfish :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts