Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was looking at a 156 earlier today. It's been laid up for quite a long time, but has had a new radiator.

The engine oil is a muddy colour, and looks very much like water has mixed with it. Under the filler cap, you can see brown mayo [email protected] coating the camshaft bearing caps/bolts etc.

I pressure-tested the cylinders, and all were in the 160-170 psi range, so I assume the head/head gasket is ok.

I've not checked the heat exchanger yet...but is there anywhere else that oil and water could mix?

It's a 2.0TS, by the way :)

Cheers,

Iain

·
Registered
29,993 Posts
The heat exchanger failure usually results in oil in the water, not water in the oil.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I've not checked the heat exchanger yet...but is there anywhere else that oil and water could mix?

Iain
Hmmm. The water cooled oil cooler, after engine shut down, with the water being at a higher pressure than the oil system the water will transfer to the sump. Though when running DCs theory is correct.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Not seen any sign of oil in the water... it's just been topped up though (with 4 litres of water!!!)
I've had just this very thing with my JTS. A few things spring to mind. Has the stat been changed? At some point have 2 different types of coolant been mixed (mine had gone congealed and jelly like)? My cooling system was all clogged up due to this jelly like stuff resulting in head gasket failure iin my case. I too had no oil in the water but water in the oil.

The Forte stuff will flush it through for you and I would suggest follow it up with the cooling system conditioner. But Gasket is first port of call - mine started as a very small seep before becoming something more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If it's been standing for a long time it could be nothing more than condensation, drain the oil, flush, and replace it, run the engine a while and check the oil for water/emulsion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts