Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all - I've recently acquired a 56 plate 159 JTDM SW which seems to have a problem with very wet carpets front and rear offside.

I've checked all the 'wet carpet' posts on this fine forum and they mostly point to water ingress through the door membranes. My wet carpets appear to be directly related to the air con (it dries out if the air con is off despite the Manchester rain, and I and the rear offside passenger float when the air con is on).

So my questions are: where does the air con drain exit the car? And has there been a problem with the air con drain pipe as is indicated in some posts?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I recently had the same problem, it turned out to be the water wells in the engine bay. Just under the wiper arms. the drainage pipe had clogged with debris. hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kevin, I'll check the drainage holes out, but I'm fairly convinced it's related to the air con. If I leave it switched off the footwells dry out despite the rain.

A number of posts indicate there may be a problem with the air con drain but I can't find any detail such as the routing of the pipe (if it is via a pipe).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Water in rear off-side foot well

When our 159 was new, we had the same problem. It went back and forth to the dealer until eventually the problem was found and solved. It was indeed the condensate pipe from the air con had not been inserted through the floor pan of the car and was being released into the cabin. Now after nearly 4 years, the problem has come back, so I am assuming that the pipe has slipped backup into the cabin again.

As to where the pipe is; as the car is going back to the dealer, I'll be sure to ask and I'll let you know.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I recently had the same problem, it turned out to be the water wells in the engine bay. Just under the wiper arms. the drainage pipe had clogged with debris. hope this helps.
Exactly this problem on mine. In very heavy rain the water would wet the carpet. As soon as I cleaned out the drains in the bulkhead by the wipers the problem went away.

James

·
Registered
961 Posts
When our 159 was new, we had the same problem. It went back and forth to the dealer until eventually the problem was found and solved. It was indeed the condensate pipe from the air con had not been inserted through the floor pan of the car and was being released into the cabin. Now after nearly 4 years, the problem has come back, so I am assuming that the pipe has slipped backup into the cabin again.

As to where the pipe is; as the car is going back to the dealer, I'll be sure to ask and I'll let you know.
Can't speak for the 159, but my 147 had this problem. Was condensate drain pipe which was rerouted. Has never recurred. It's surprising how much water can build up!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 year on and I still haven't got round to fixing this, I just keep the air con off most of the time. It seems from other threads that to fix it the seats and carpet have to be removed which has put me off attempting the fix, but the manual is very unclear about the route of the drain and I don't want to rip the front carpet and seats out to find it's in the boot!

Can anyone let me know what exactly is required to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Good Morning Simon, I've had to do the same thing...and it's a bit of a PITA but not a complete nightmare..

Anyway, what you need to do is disconnect the battery for 10 minutes (i leave it 15-20 to be sure) and then follow these instructions..

1. seat removal
2. front tunnel side bits
3.running boards

Only other things to note..are, be careful the fuel pump switch is in the passenger floor, so don't tread on it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that Moel, that couldn't be clearer.

I guess the pipe in question can be found somewhere around the RHS of the tunnel, under the carpet?

·
Registered
507 Posts
yup...tis the same for both disassembly of both sides...takes about 10 minutes of peering to work out which pipe it is!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Oh I should point out..that the airbag connectors for the seats look a bit weird and scary....to unplug them. flip the locking switch on the back..and then pull the connector upwards, whilst the lock tab will move outwards...you can pull the lock tab, if it's not disengaged fully.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Footwell Instructions

Ta for the instructions. Despite taking our car to the dealer; the would not listen to my suggestion that the problem could be related to the air con and were insisting to charge us £300 to strip out the seats and carpet to perform a water test. I cancelled the job, brought the car home and will attempt the job myself with your clear instructions. Is there anything in the tech manual about the route of the air con drain pipe?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Basically what you'll notice, is that down the back of the engine...you'll see a pipe exiting the firewall around halfway down the firewall.

Except it goes nowhere..it's just a drain, poking out..

That gives you a rough idea/location, of where the pipe enters the car...Now from what I remember, checking my pipe to see if it was the cause of my leak...is that theres a lot of wiring, behind the dash, once you've popped the side bits off the gear tunnel. But you'll basically see if you gently pull the cabling away, the air con drain pipe..which hooks up to the rubber bit that leads outside.

It's easier to see from the drivers side if i recall correctly as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Answers

I did a full strip on our 159 to find the answer to the water ingress faults. The first is in the drain under the offside wiper scuttle which was blocked with debris. By design, it does not take much to block it:
IMG_3663.jpg

The second is the air con drain which inside the car is the black plastic elbow fitting located behind the footrest (peel back carpet and unscrew plastic footrest plate cover) which is held in place by 3 nuts:
IMG_3666.jpg

Inside the engine bay; the air con drain is seen behind the engine as a short bent pipe over the offside bulkhead over the front axle:
IMG_3671.jpg

I hope this will save someone alot of time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got round to sorting this - it was indeed the disconnected drain. Was it ever connected? I can't see how it could come apart accidentally as it has a barbed connector and spring clip.
Many thanks for all the help. See below before & after photos for future reference.
img_2585 (2).jpg
img_2591 (2).jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to bump a long inactive thread, but Ive been having water in my car for the past month and been to 3 different shops and no one can find anything wrong.
The water gets in while car is standing in the rain, regardless of nose up/down position, the door lining is always dry, the driver floor is always wet.
It seems to be coming from the center of the floor, right under the pedals http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=567994&thumb=1
We've checked the doors - OK, windscreen - OK, scuttles under the windshield - OK...
Im thinking somewhere from A-pillar or some kind of drain
I would be grateful if someone would get a pic of a wider area of what Car Ramp Man and Simonv are showing. I cant find the connectors at all.
Is it inside the center console or to the outside of the car?
Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
Im driving an 06 159 1.9 with the wheel on the left side.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Have you got a sunroof? That looks like exactly the spot I had water flooding in but on mine it went under the carpet and surfaced in the rear footwells first. If you do have a sunroof then remove the front wheels and the wheel arch liners, the drain tube is on the front side of the A pillar and has a rubber one way valve on it (rubber cap with 4 triangular flaps), pull this off and the blockage should drain out. There are rear drain tubes that you can get to more easily, between the rear wheel and the exhaust back box.

If you don't have a sunroof the most likely sources are the scuttle drain (lift the black trim where the wipers are and you should see water everywhere that comes in where the wiring loom enters the cabin. Fish around a little and you'll soon find the blocked drain tubes. If there's no water in the scuttle the other likely source is a failed seal between the door and the door card.

Guy

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, no sunroof.
I looked at the scuttles in the front (under the plastic under the wipers) and cleared them, the drain in the middle is clear too.
Its curious because the doors don't leak which is common.
I put paper under the windshield to check if its leaking from under the windscreen but it seems to be ok.
I havent been able to find the AC outlet in the fore mentioned image, but I'll take a look as soon as I get home.
Still wondering if it is possible I missed something dripping from under the steering mechanism.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts