Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AR155 TwinSpark 2.0 -96 and just recently i've noticed some water "poffing" out of the exhaust pipe. When i look inside the pipe there is a small, small pond of water.
That can't be normal. So my first assumtion is: Cooling water, right. So I tasted it. Pure water taste.
I've monitored the cooling water level and it's not changing much. The water can't just come from nowhere? cant it?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Miffo

Don't panic, water is a pnormal part of the combustion process. Apparantly a litre of water is made for every litre of petrol used. This is the reason exhausts rust from the inside out and one of the reasons why short journey's are bad for a car as the water is not evapourated when the exhaust gets hot.

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi miffo, welcome...........

One of the by-products of burning fuel is water. Also the cat. converter produces water when it converts the gases. You will find water forming if you only use the car for short journeys (not getting the exhaust hot) or just after you first start the car. You may also get water condensing in the pipe when the exhaust cools down and the outside air is damp (like in winter).

Marlon

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wrinx we must have been typing at the same time !!!!

Marlon

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not for the first time eh wink People will talk!

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the super rapid answer....

It helps to know that my engine is ok :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Best bet, if you use your motor for short journies, is to take it out for a long trip every few days (or buy a Stainless backbox).

Ralf S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts