Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.0 giulietta veloce
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2011 2.0 ltr diesel giulietta. I removed my egr valve today only to find water in the port. The car went into limp mode after a 3 hour motorway drive and i was getting closed egr position code.
I reset the code to make it home but now the car just stutters and cuts out.
I was wondering how big a problem this is and if anyone has had experience with water in the port or if there are other threads which could help? cheers

·
Registered
597 Posts
Definitely coolant, yes?
You'll need to figure out if the coolant leak is internal or external from the plastic cover and somehow leaked into the port (not sure if that is likely). The coolant cover has a tendency to crack and can be replaced separately but if you have an internal crack in the heat exchanger, you'll likely need a replacement EGR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely coolant, yes?
You'll need to figure out if the coolant leak is internal or external from the plastic cover and somehow leaked into the port (not sure if that is likely). The coolant cover has a tendency to crack and can be replaced separately but if you have an internal crack in the heat exchanger, you'll likely need a replacement EGR.
Yes the coolant reservoir is at minimum now.
I changed the EGR a year ago aswell 😣. Is there anyway water could have made it to the engine to cause the non staring issue ?

·
Registered
41,596 Posts
It usually takes lots of water to damage an engine internally, like bending of con rods. The coolant loss may have caused a head gasket failure though.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes the coolant reservoir is at minimum now.
I changed the EGR a year ago aswell 😣. Is there anyway water could have made it to the engine to cause the non staring issue ?
If the coolant level is at MIN then the engine shouldn't have overheated.

So the engine won't start now ? What condition is the EGR in ? Is it connected ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the coolant level is at MIN then the engine shouldn't have overheated.

So the engine won't start now ? What condition is the EGR in ? Is it connected ?
The engine starts but it splutters and dies after a couple of seconds.

The EGR lookd fine just the usual soot on it. It's removed from the car just now.

·
Registered
597 Posts
So you've blanked off both ends presumably. Check the error codes. Will an engine start without deleting the EGR from the engine module? There are bound to be plenty of threads about this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you've blanked off both ends presumably. Check the error codes. Will an engine start without deleting the EGR from the engine module? There are bound to be plenty of threads about this?
Hi been busy and havnt had a chance to get to the car.
I never blanked off the ends, I removed the EGR and never tried to start the car again.
I've removed the heat exchanger and and noticed small yellow pieces in the port where the EGR inserts any ideas what this is ?
I haven't had a chance to give the heat exchanger a once over but will do soon.

I haven't had a chance to
Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive engine gasket Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
That could be the emulsion you get from oil and water mixing, usually due to a head gasket failure, although when I've seen it before it looks more cream coloured, most people describe it like mayonaisse and usually on petrol cars?

I had a 2010 JTDM2 and I had the EGR cover cracked(front of the engine) within 3 months of purchase, fairly simple to change for a DIYer. The level in the header tank looked normal but when you squeezed the hoses it was obvious they were empty of fluid.

Then about 7 years on I had to change the EGR valve(back of the engine) I can't remember if there was coolant involved on that job but your first picture looks very wet/oily?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't have a mental picture of the internal EGR design but if the coolant channels of the heat exchanger are restricted to the cooler part then I would say that is what is leaking and needs replaced and the rest of the EGR valve should be ok. It seems they usually crack and leak externally but in your case maybe internally. I can't believe the cover is made of plastic given it is exhaust fumes going through it. I noticed in my paperwork my EGR valve was replaced after 5 years.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hi Wbanham,
The heat exchanger contains the exhaust fumes and the coolant is on the outside of it contained by the plastic cover. Same parts on Vauxhalls if anyone gets stuck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts